Konoha High: Chapter 3

Chapter 3 – Dating can hurt you

Author’s chat: Yo! I changed something in Chapter 2 by request from my friend to change the way Kiyomi and Umi had first met. I never knew that saying they had met through pen pals would be boring! Hey, I met some of my friends through pen pals! Although I haven’t <cough> met any of them. Yet. Please do reread that part as I have thought up a new way for the two girls to meet. It’s something that CAN happen. You just have to be in the right place at the right time and meet the right people. I’d advise you NOT(!) to try it because you will, most likely than not, get hurt.

Gaara waited nervously in front of Umi’s house. Umi’s dad had seen him and Gaara knew that he had told Umi that Gaara was waiting for her outside. At least that was what he hoped had happened. Yesterday had shown him that Umi’s brother, Natsu, was against Gaara and his friends protecting Umi and Umi’s father was following orders from the government and Gaara had no idea if Umi’s mother felt the same way as Natsu. He gritted his teeth against the cold of the morning. It irritated him to think that while he had to walk all the way to Umi’s house in the cold, his friends and sister were probably already at school, nice and warm or spying on him right now to see how his first walk with his ‘girlfriend’ would go.  Which probably wasn’t very fun considering that his ‘girlfriend’ had yet to leave the house. He had already been waiting fifteen minutes. The door finally opened and Umi ran out.

“Good morning,” she said, as she slowed down to a walk. Gaara nodded and began walking. After five minutes of silence, Umi sneaked a look at his face. He showed nothing on his face to show her what he was feeling.

“Um,” Umi said nervously. Gaara looked at her.

“Did you wait too long?” she asked.

“Fifteen minutes,” Gaara said in a monotone, looking forward again.

“Oh. I’m so sorry. Do you think you could next time give me a time when you’ll arrive? I could then be ready in time,” Umi commented. Gaara looked at her again. Oh, crap, he really is mad, Umi thought. Stupid Natsu! Why did he have to continue fighting with Otou-san about the whole bodyguard thing again? Because of him, she had gotten delayed another ten minutes.

“8:30.”

“What?” Umi asked, realising that she had forgotten what they had been talking about since she had been thinking too hard on other things.

“I’ll pick you up at 8:30 from your house. I prefer to have plenty of spare time before school starts just in case of the unexpected,” Gaara explained. Umi smiled.

“Thanks. It makes things easier to know such things,” Umi said, smiling shyly. Gaara nodded. Then they spotted the school’s front gate. Here goes nothing, they thought. Halfway across the school ground, they had all of the students present staring after them. Gaara looked totally unaffected from all the attention while Umi’s nerves grew tighter and tighter by the second. Umi and Gaara separated when they reached the inside of the school, going towards their school lockers to change their outdoor shoes to indoor shoes. He also escorted her to her classroom. And students gossiped like crazy as they passed by. This is going to take a hell of a long time to quiet down, Umi thought, sighing in her mind. IF it quiets down.

“Wow, people sure like to gossip, huh?” Kiba whistled softly as he and the gang walked towards the school’s cafeteria.

“What did you expect? A quiet walk through the school, with no one giving a damn about you?” Umi asked, her nervousness coming about in anger.

“That would be nice,” Gaara said softly.

“Ignore them. They’ll soon have something new to talk about,” Temari said casually.