"It was Kai. Joe knew he'd come after her.. And he did." Ric stated in a surprisingly calm voice from where he sat on the arm of the couch.

"Not to give you boyfriend lessons or anything, —but if you knew Joe's whack job of a brother was out and after her.. Don't you think that keeping an eye on her would've been a smart move?" Damon asked sarcastically from where he sat on the opposite side of Alaric.

"And what would you rather have had me do, Damon? Ask you to compel Joe to stay put?" Ric fired back in annoyance and I groaned at the two.

"Guys, if Kai has Joe, we need a plan." I stated in frustration, now standing in front of the two.

"Plans easy. Find Kai, Kill Kai. Mm-hmm." Damon replied with a smile and I looked at Ric with a questioning look. "I'm gonna go call Matt. Maybe him and Lil Gilbert have seen him." He added getting up and leaving the room.

"Look, if you are going anywhere, I'm going with you." Ric stated, standing up quickly and I scoffed back at him.

"No, you're not." I countered, shaking my head back at him.

"Mariana, listen—" He started in protest but I cut him off quickly.

"Alaric, I get that Joe is your girlfriend and that you care very deeply about her, but you have a child to take care of—Freya comes first. Always." I stated, pointing my finger at him in some warning. I watched him open his mouth to say speak but I cut him off again. "Always, Ric." I added emotionlessly and he let out a small sigh of defeat before he put his hands on my shoulders.

"I was going to tell you to be careful.." Ric admitted with a small smile only before he pulled me into a hug.

"Well, Beavis and Butt-head are on the look out." Damon stated as he came back into the room and we turned towards him. "Anyone else brimming with confidence?" He asked sarcastically.

"This doesn't make sense." Ric countered in confusion and I rose my eyebrow at him.

"What could possibly not make sense about magical twins absorbing into one another?" Damon asked sarcastically again and I rolled my eyes.

"Listen, Joe needs her magic to work and she got rid of that back in 1994." Ric clarified as he sat back on the arm of the couch.

"Joe doesn't have magic because she absorbed it into a knife that is being hidden by yours truly." Damon replied with a knowing smirk as he gestured at himself. "Kai won't find it." He added in a hopeful voice.

"Yeah, unless Kai does a locator spell." I countered in a matter of fact tone and crossed my arms over my chest and looked at him knowingly.

"It's impossible." Damon replied with a shrug and I rose my eyebrow at him.

"Why?" Ric asked, looking between Damon and I in confusion before I narrowed my eyes.

"Because Kai was born without the ability to do magic.." I answered, looking back at him. "But what if he gets Liv and Luke to do it for him?" I asked as I looked back at Damon. "I mean if he's really smart, he probably already has, which means that he's going to come for it." I pointed out and Damon shrugged.

"Okay, so Kai finds it. Love it." Damon replied in a careless tone, obviously not bothered by it.

"I'm sorry, why aren't you more concerned?" Ric asked scoffing at him in annoyance.

"Because if Kai comes for the knife, I will kill him. Because the knife is right here, where I hid it." Damon countered, moving towards the wall and grabbing a picture frame off of it to reveal that the frame has a false back. "Ta-da." He added, turning the completely empty frame towards us and I rose and eyebrow. "Huh.." Damon stated awkwardly, looking down at the knife-less frame before looking back towards Alaric and I.