Set Free Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

  After finally picking myself up from my melting by the front door, I walked into the kitchen where my mom was making dinner and leaned against the counter.

  "Hey Mom?" I said hesitantly.

  "Yes sweetheart?" my mom said, turning around and inviting me to continue with the look on her face.

  "Ummm, I, uhhh, I have a friend...at school....and she's kind of confused about something." I said, and then paused, unsure of what to say next.

  "Mhm?" my mom said.

  "Well...my friend, her boyfriend died a short while ago and now she likes another guy and she's wondering whether that makes her a terrible person or not....." I spilled out, "So, I was wondering if you could give me some advice on what to tell her...?"

  "Baby girl, tell her that Jus---I mean her boyfriend---is in Heaven with God. And tell her you're sure that they both want her to be happy and to live a happy, full life," She paused and smiled. "Will that do?"

  "Yeah. I think so. Anyway, thanks Mom." I moved forward with a smile to embrace my mother.

  "I love you, Amber." My mom whispered into my hair.

  "I love you, too, Mom."

  I let go still smiling and walked away, thinking about what my mother had said and wondering if it was really that simple.

                                                                ---------------------------------------

  The next day was Wednesday, September 29th, and there was no school because it was parent-teacher conference day. At least I didn't have to worry about that; I'd made good grades and my behavior in class had been sufficient, unless you count my constant daydreaming as bad behavior.

  I opened my eyes that morning to a sunny and beautiful day that felt a lot like a new beginning, and despite the good weather outside begging to be enjoyed, I decided to accept the fact that I lived in Miami now, and spend the day unpacking my room. It was still full to the brim of my mostly unpacked boxes.

A few hours into my project, my mom knocked on my bedroom door.

  "Amber, honey, don't forget about youth group tonight. You said you were planning on trying it out tonight, right?" She asked me through the door.

  "Yeah, thanks for reminding me. What time does it start again?" I asked.

  "Seven." My mother replied. "Well, I'm off to meet with your teachers. Have a good day, Amber. I love you."

  "Love you too, bye Mom." I called back.

  And then I went back to setting up my room.