ii

𝙨𝙩𝙤𝙧𝙢

I was supposed to be the hero. 

I was supposed to end the cycle of wars so that we could go back to our regular lifestyles and nobody would have to do what we had to again. 

In the eighteen years I had been alive, I never thought we would get to see the other side of Snoh. When the three of us still shared a room, my siblings and I would stay up talking about what we thought the other side looked like. If they were kids like us. If they went to high-end schools with terrible uniforms like us. If they went to parties in dancy clothes that itched. 

If their parents were rarely in their lives like ours. 

But the problem with seeing the other side of Snoh, while it was an adventure, meant sacrifice. 

We wouldn't have lost all that we did: Families torn apart by the damage. There were lovers stuck on two sides of the wall, my twin brother included. The loss of people that we knew in our neighborhood; had said hello to on our way to school. The wall was nothing more than debris, a reminder of our tragic past. Friendships ruined and bodies buried six feet under the ground. 

A part of me would have been ok not knowing what the other side of Snoh looked like. There a bliss in ignorance. I would have given up seeing the Salem side just to know that my siblings were safe. Those powers they gave me, I would have given those up any day to have a normal life, skipping classes and chasing things that weren't meant to be chased. 

I was the hero in the war they forced us into. They played each of us, giving us powers that set us apart from the other children our age. They whispered promises that they could not keep into our ears at night while we slept. They told us that we would save the world and defeat the Chaotic Trio. 

But instead, we did nothing more than play into the hands of the Titans and the vicious cycle will continue once again. A war that is only a temporary one, until they get bored again. And I'll be the hero once more. 

The second cycle started with a storm.

On the Morningstar side, we love the rain. It makes music on the roofs and children run around in it. We do rain dances and sing praises, especially during our free periods. We skip classes and we let the rain wash away all of our problems and sins so that next time we won't make the same mistakes. 

We always do though. 

Salem High School doesn't do the things we do. They fear the rain while we write poems and praise its existence. We get the founding in Snoh, for all of the wealthy people live in Morningstar. Their schools and homes are shitty, something I didn't know until the wall went down. Morningstar however has everything. 

Our roads shine. Our buildings shimmer with the sun. The students get things through their parent's banking accounts, whether or not they know it. Our parties consist of stealing champagne bottles from our parents and secrets from others, which we use later to get ahead. It's all about getting ahead because those you call friends will leave you. 

And that fateful day, a storm was brewing in the dark sky. 

The white Jeep Wrangler, who I named Angel, was wisping the rain away on each side. She was a new car, one that my father bought for my eighteenth birthday that was just two months ago. 

My twin brother, Nicoy, leaned his head on the window as he watched the raindrops slide down in a race. Our younger sister Omisha laid in the back, wiping away the tiredness from her eyes as she held her backpack in her lap as a pillow.