2- Court

I was currently in court with my solicitor, Natasha for my hearing.

"Rarely in the case of armed robbery do we hear a plea of no contest, are you sure about this Mr Brown?" The judge asks looking puzzled.
"I'm sure, your honour" I reply standing with my hands crossed over one another.
"Your honour, we'd like to recess if we could, my client is a bit confused at the moment" Natasha asks.
"I'm not your honour" I reply.
"He is, your honour" I look over at Natasha giving her a stern look.

The judge looks at us and nods "perhaps you should listen to your representations advice and take some time to consider your response"

"I've already done that, your honour" I reply with a serious tone. I watch as the judge writes something down and then addresses the court room.
"The court will recess until 13:30 where I will determine sentencing" the judge bangs the gavel, I watch as everyone stands up as the judge leaves the room by a door behind her.

A security guard then takes me by my arm "come on let's go"
"Uncle Tobi!"
I hear a very familiar voice calling my name, I turn around and to my surprise I see my nephew Jake.
"I didn't want you to see this Jake, please, go home" I couldn't bare the thought of him seeing me like this.

Natasha and I are led out of the court room by the security guard. He then takes me to the holding cell with Natasha standing on the other side whilst we wait for the sentence.

I sigh as I lean against the bars "Jake is not going to take this well"
"Can you blame him? He's your nephew. He's beginning to get the idea that anybody he attaches himself to is going to be up in prison" Natasha exclaims. "And he's not the only one who's starting to feel that way Tobi" Natasha looks over at the security guard "will you give us a minute?"

"One minute" he instructs as he begins to walk away from the cell.
"Tobi don't you understand? You just put the book in the judge's hand and she's gonna throw it at you like a grenade" she explained, I could see the pain it was causing her.

"I know" I replied looking down at the ground.
"Then will you please tell me what's going through your head?" Natasha asked.
I raised my head back up to look at her "we've been over this"
"I've known you my entire life, you don't have a violent bone in your body. And I know you don't need the money" she said.

"Natasha.." I began to say
"Why won't you let me help you?" She asked, this time I could hear the hurt in her voice.
"You've been good to me. My whole life you really have. But you've got to let me deal with this, okay?" I pleaded to her.

*Back in the court room*

The judge had made her decision and we were summoned back to the court room to hear my sentencing.

"Given your lack of prior criminal conduct, I am inclined towards probation. However, the fact that you discharged a deadly weapon during the commission of the crime suggests you had intentions of harming someone to me. For that reason, I find it that you see the inside of a prison cell, Mr Brown. It says here you've requested to be incarcerated somewhere near your home, I'm willing to honour that. The closest level 1 facility to-"

"Level 1? That's maximum security, your honour" the judge was quickly cut off by Natasha.

"I would ask council to refrain from interrupting me. As I was saying, the closest level 1 facility would be Cloverhill State Penitentiary. As for the term of your sentence, I'm setting it at 5 years, you'll be eligible for parole in half that time. Sentence is to be carried out immediately" the judge concludes banging the ravel.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter!
Let me know what you think so far

Have a great day
❤️