Chapter 5

AN// I am so happy I got 100 reads! Thanks for reading this and my thg fanfic! If you guys could give feedback and comment it would rock! Don't hate me, but i like Peter sooooo.... He's good in this book.

Tobias pov
I still can't wrap my head around what Tris meant, by "he did this to me". I am trying to figure out who. Mathew, no he likes her. Eric, no he's dead. Peter, doesn't she have a restraining order against him? Caleb, he wouldn't hurt his own sister, would he?

Maybe he would.... I meant he did send her off to her own death in Erudite.

But that was the past. This is the present.

I go back to my dorm and i shower and get changed, and I rush back to the hospital. I dash into Tris's room and notice a figure over her bed. He has his hoodie pulled up over his head, and some how 'that dude' can see. He plants a quick kiss on Tris's cheek. And then I hear him mutter, "Sorry"

And then he says,"It didn't work."

I see tears fall off the sweatshirt.

I think it's Mathew, so when he runs out, I try to find a face under the hoodie, but without luck. So what do I do? I pull down the hoodie, and I am face to face with not Mathew. Who likes her, so he'd have a reason to kiss her.

Not Caleb, who I hate, but he's her brother, so he'd have a reason to kiss her.

I am looking into the eyes of the boy who helped her from the Erudite hq.

Who teased her and took her clothing during initiation.

Who almost pushed her into the Chasm.

Peter has just kissed Tris.

I come to two conclusions, and I push the first one away, and think of the second one.

He was working with someone to kill or hurt her, someone who hates her just as much as he does. But who? Not many people would have a reason to hate Tris. But that wouldn't explain the kiss.

The first one, maybe the most obvious one, is mind blowing to even think about. He likes Tris. It would explain the kiss. He was saying sorry for all the years of teasing her. Teasing her was his plan so that no one would think he likes, loves her. It would make sense. But, no.

Something else pops in mind. Someone else who hates her.

My father. Well he didn't hate her, but he didn't really like her either.

My mother, reset by the serum, wouldn't want to hurt her. She was a shoulder to lean on when I was grieving for her.

I put my head in my hands and think, when a voice awakes me.

"Tobias." Tris looks at me, her face a mask of sheer terror.

"What?" I am happy that she has gained consciousness, and I'm about to call a hospital person, when she screams my name again.

"TOBIAS!!!!!!"

I see her pointing at something, or someone behind me, and I whisk my head around just in time to be hit in the neck with something. I try to find who did it, but the person had already left. I fall to the ground.

I try to stand up, but it doesn't work. It all fits into place in my head, but I already feel the world slipping, and I don't think I'll be able to live to retell it.

I will remember the last words I heard. Her scream of pure terror, before I fell into an endless sleep.