CHAPTER NINE

ALTHEA HUFFED QUIETLY AS FILCH glared at her, gesturing for her to pass into Hogsmeade.

"Seriously, who in their right mind would hire him? He hates teenagers." Aubrey glared right back as they wandered the cold streets, putting some distance between them and the caretaker.

"Dumbledore is a brilliant man. I'm sure he has his reasons." Yasmin shrugged casually.

"If you ask me, there's no justification." Caroline scrunched her nose in distaste, "Especially not for that little pest he calls a cat."

"Probably just making up for the fact that he can't do magic." Althea told them in a hushed tone.

"What?" Caroline gasped, "Are you sure?"

"Just a rumour." Althea replied casually.

"It makes sense though." Aubrey looked at the sky, "I mean, have you ever seen him use magic?"

"He definitely would to clean up the messes the students make, but..." she looked back at him. "He never does."

"Ooh, this is good!" Caroline clapped enthusiastically. They wandered in silence for a bit, before Althea broke the silence.

"On an unrelated subject, can you believe that it's already that time of year? I mean, it feels like just yesterday that we were taking the carriages into Hogwarts, and now there's only nine days to Christmas!" Reina wiped a fake tear from the corner of her eye. "Just devastating."

"By the way, Aubrey, thanks for letting Thals, Aaron and I stay at your place." Althea squeezed Aubrey's shoulder. "I really appreciate it."

Thalia and Aaron were her younger brother and sister, who meant the world to her. Thomas (her older brother) was always there for her when she grew up, and she wanted to be able to do the same for them.

"No problem." Aubrey smiled back. "You're all coming over on Christmas Day, right?"

The girls all murmured in agreement, but Yasmin interrupted them.

"No sorry, loves, I'm going to visit my family in Vietnam." she smiled sadly.

"What? But you always spend Christmas day with us!" Reina argued.

"I know, but my grandmother is sick." she replied, hanging her head.

"Oh my god what happened?" Caroline took Yasmin's hand reassuringly.

"Nothing too serious, the healers say she'll be fine, but I'd still rather be there with her." she told them quietly. They all nodded solemnly.

"How about some shopping now?" Reina smiled awkwardly, "Help lighten the mood?"

*

"The blue one?" Althea asked, holding up a flowy, pale blue dress that fell above her knee, "Or the red one?" she held up a tight, dark red, v-necked dress that ended mid-thigh.

"Red!" Caroline took the material into her hands.

"Are you kidding? The blue one is so much more appropriate." Reina shook her head at Caroline.

"Yes, but we're not looking for appropriate." she argued, "We're looking for gorgeous."

"She'll be at Aubrey's house."

"Aubrey's parents can stand to see a little skin! Besides it's not that bad." she handed Althea the fabric and pushed her into the changing rooms. "Try it on!"

Althea huffed, but slipped off her shirt and jeans. After putting on the dress, she admired herself in the mirror and grinned before walking out.

"Don't I look just amazing?" she struck a pose comically. Reina stayed silent for a few moments, but finally caved.

"Yeah, you kind of do." she admitted.

"See!" Caroline clapped happily. "Now, change back and buy it."

"Geez, it's just Christmas eve, not some party." Althea raised her eyebrows as she was shoved back into the changing rooms.

"Not just any Christmas eve." she heard Reina say, "Christmas eve with the Potters."

"What?" Althea tripped on the leg of her jeans and fell, letting out a creative string of curses.

"Didn't Aubrey tell you?" Caroline's voice came this time, "Her parents invited the Potter's over to stay on Christmas eve and Christmas day."

"Fuck." she cursed and shoved her boots on, then opening the curtain separating the changing room from the rest of the shop. She then spotted the counter and began walking over, dress draped over her arm.

"Yeah." Reina giggled. "I think the rest of his friends are also going to be there."

She stopped in her tracks. "What?" she asked calmly.

"The rest of his friend group are going to be there-"

"Why does life hate me." she cried out, but continued towards the counter, using the last of her pocket money (which had been renewed) to buy the dress. Shoving it in one of the shopping bags full of presents, she started heading towards the exit.

BOOM!

A loud noise echoed across Hogsmeade. A deafening silence ensued. Then, the screams started.

"What the hell is going on?" Yasmin yelled over the commotion. They all knew what it was. They all dreaded it.

"Death Eaters." Caroline muttered under her breath. "Come on, we have to get back to the castle."

BOOM!

Another thunderous noise came from somewhere near the Shrieking Shack. The other girls hurried towards the castle, but Althea spotted something in the corner of her eye.

"Remus." she whispered. He was running towards the tall building with his friends. Despite them not being close, she couldn't just let him hurl himself into trouble. "REMUS!" she yelled. No response. He couldn't hear her.

"What the hell has gotten into you, Thea?" Aubrey said, wide-eyed and panicky. "We have to go. Now!"

Shit.

"Aubrey, I-" she took a look at the castle and another at the small figures getting further away from her. "I have to help. Wish me luck!" she shoved her bags in her friends' arms.

"What the fuck do you think your doing, Thea?" Aubrey yelled, "You-- get back here!"

But the wind was whistling in her ears as Althea ran and the sound faded before she could ever hear it.