"It was him or me," I told her truthfully.

"I know that!" She snapped, wiping the mascara that was running down her eyes. "I would have been miserable one way or another. Without my mate, without you, I would die. But I can't breathe without my brother."

All I wanted to do was take her pain away, to wrap her in my arms and protect her from the world. "Let's figure it out then," I whispered to her.

"How?"

"I'm sure your father's pack has records of the war. Same as mine.  We go back to the start. Figure it out."

"You'd do that for me?" I was almost hurt at the surprise in her voice.

"I'd do anything for you," I told her, no longer fighting my instincts to comfort her by pulling her close, wrapping her in my arms and burying my face in her neck. I inhale her deeply letting her lavender and honey scent calm me. "Can you just promise me one thing in the meantime?"

"Sure," she mumbles into my chest, nodding her head against me.

"We can move forward while we're figuring it out? I'm not asking you to let me mate or mark you. Just let me take you on dates, hold your hand. Kiss you," I whispered the last part.

"Okay," she said. Catching me off guard she tilted her head up, pushing her lips against mine for the briefest moment. I sighed when she pulled away, but didn't fight her, knowing she needed control over the situation.

"Let's go," I said.

"Home," she mumbled sleepily against me. My heart fluttered faster when she called our apartment home.

Taking her hand walked us back to the car. Averie was basically sleep walking by the time I got her to the car. I helped her in before buckling her seatbelt for her. Turning the car around and heading back to the hidden turn in, the car was filled with the sound of her soft snoring. 

It was quiet when I pulled into the garage at the pack house. Averie was still snoring, instead of waking her I scooped her up out of her seat, carrying her bridal style up the endless staircases to our suite. I was thankful I didn't pass anyone, not wanting to risk waking her. I carried her directly to bed, only removing her socks and shoes after laying her down. She'd be more comfortable if I changed her, but the first time I undressed her wouldn't be while she was unconscious. Stripping my own clothes off I kept my boxers on before sliding in next to her. Still respecting her boundaries I kept distance between us in bed, but Averie surprised me, rolling over and seeking me out in her sleep. Her long arms reached for me while she whimpered. I pulled her close, her blonde hair tickled my chest, but the way she wrapped her arm around my waist and intertwined our legs was worth it.

***

"Kane." I squeezed Averie tighter. "Kane," her sleepy voice whispered louder this time. I huffed in response, not ready to wake up yet. "I need to pee," she spoke louder this time. Reluctantly I rolled to my back, letting her escape my embrace. Without further word she scurried to the bathroom, closing and locking the door behind her. I lay sprawled out on my bed, hands behind my head staring at the ceiling. Last night hadn't gone as well as I'd hoped. A stupid part of me was hoping she would have finally let me mark her. But it was definitely a step in the right direction.

I hear the bathroom door open and I look over to see Averie in nothing but a towel. The fluffy white cloth is wrapped securely around her, but thanks to her height it barely falls to the middle of her legs. My cock hardens instantly as the sight. "Sorry," she mumbled but I nearly missed it. There's a drop of water running down her neck, it travels along her collarbone before disappearing into the towel. I'd like nothing more than to follow the path it took with my tongue. The smell of lust fills the room. Mine and hers. "I forgot to grab clothes," her voice whisper soft and filled with undeniable need. She walked briskly to the closet, avoiding looking at me the entire time.