"So are you." he lent back slightly to press his forehead against mine. "Did you hear us talking?" Tears in my eyes, I nodded, and he spared Elrond a venomous glance before continuing. "That was the worst possible outcome, which will not come to pass. You're not going anywhere. We are safe now, you and I."

"How do you know that?" I said breathlessly. Legolas sighed shakily. I felt a weight on the bed, ever so slight, and turned to see Elladan next to me, his eyes wide. "Bless the mercy of Nienna", he muttered, leaning over to wrap an arm around me and kiss my temple. Elrohir was stood behind Legolas, but he moved to sit on my other side, kissing my cheek.

I took it in for a moment. Legolas in front of me, pulling me into him, and my kin either side of me, squeezing my shoulder and stroking my hair. I had never thought to feel again the touch of any of them.

Elrond spoke up for the first time. "You have not been yourself, dear child. You have not spoken more than a few words, and rarely were you conscious enough to recognise us."

I turned from Elrond to Legolas. He avoided my eyes. "I alone could calm you if you were scared, but I do not believe you knew why."

"I've put you through so much." I muttered with a sigh, my shoulders sagging.

Legolas ran his hand through my messy hair. "Do not apologise. I had the others looking after me, and I was glad to care for you."

Elrohir propped my pillows against the bedhead, and Legolas propped me gently against them. Elladan shifted to the edge of the bed to give me space, but I bolted up suddenly, yelping at the pain. Legolas held me back, stroking my hair away from my face. "Peace. Tell me what troubles you, meleth nin." (S: my love)

"The others!" I half-shouted. "Did everyone survive the battle? Did the children-"

"Nesseldë", Elrond took my hand and squeezed it, leaning on the bed, "Your friends are fine. Many were harmed, and seventeen men were killed in battle, but those who have children are here with them. The others, Galdor and Halbarad and thirteen of the thirty rangers who joined you just before the battle, have returned to the wilds."

"Firiel was badly hurt defending her young ones, but she is healing well." Legolas contributed, taking my other hand.

"Almarien is here?" Elrond nodded, and I continued. "Is – the baby-?"

"Born in the wild", Elladan contributed, a slight smile on his face, "A girl, as healthy as can be. They are both doing well."

My shoulders relaxed. "Thank the Valar. What have they called her?"

"Beriadan suggested Miriel, and Almarien thinks it is perfect." Legolas smiled. "She has a head of dark hair already, and the biggest blue eyes I've ever seen. You can meet her soon."

"I can hardly wait. New life is such a blessing in dark times like these. How is Ancalimë? I expect the journey was hard on her."

Legolas and Elrond exchanged a look. A rock dropped into the pit of my stomach. "What?" Legolas sat on the bed, facing me. "No." A tear trailed down my cheek. "Legolas, no."

He shifted forward, pulling me closer again. "She's alive", he said calmly, "but she lost her right arm."

"By the Valar. How?"

I buried my head in his shoulder and he trailed his hand up my back. "The orcs caught up with them, and they barely escaped with their lives. The blood loss damn near killed her, but she is recovering well."

"It is a miracle we didn't lose anyone."

"Down in great part to your leadership." I could hear the pride in Legolas' voice. He stayed in the same position, letting me rest against him while he stroked my back soothingly. I was dressed in a light nightgown. I could feel it resting just above my ankles, and Legolas' fingers were warm through the delicate material. The wide sleeve fell back when I reached up to touch his cheek with my fingers. "We're in Imladris" I said after a few quiet moments.