New Beginnings

I woke the next day bundled in Legolas' cloak and Aragorn's spare blanket. Legolas' spare tunic was rolled up under my head. He'd even given me some socks to warm my icy feet. When I prised my heavy eyes open, I saw him digging around in his pack with his back to me.

"They're going to swamp her", Aragorn was chuckling.

"Well, it's better than nothing. She will freeze in that ripped gown". Legolas turned with a pair of trousers and a belt in his hands. He saw that I was awake and bowed his head slightly. "Good morning. I thought you might want to borrow some clothes for the journey."

"Journey?" I questioned in panic, struggling into a sitting position. "I can't leave!"

Both Legolas and Aragorn paused to stare incredulously at me. Aragorn sat a little closer and handed me a small plate of food. "My lady, you cannot stay here. You will not be alone, nor in any danger if we can help it".

I sighed shakily and took some food, unsure how to explain that my attackers might come back. I glanced fleetingly at them both and opened my mouth a few times, but I could not find the words.

Legolas sat down too. "I can see that you are afraid, but whatever happened to you is over now. You desperately need food and warmth. With winter setting in, you will not survive out here alone." 

I swallowed and tried to speak again. Cautiously, I attempted an explanation without revealing too much. "There might be some men hunting me. I escaped them before they hurt me too badly, but I think they may come looking for me again".

The friends' faces both softened in sympathy. Legolas spoke consolingly. "They may not even remember you. Plenty of men in the wild lands cause pain merely for sport".

I shook my head slightly and spoke shortly. "It was planned. I am sure of it." I breathed slowly, trying to keep calm as the memories threatened to overwhelm me.

"You are safe now", Legolas muttered softly. I could see on his face that he wanted to come closer.

"How do you know it was planned?" Aragorn asked tentatively. I swallowed again and spoke, my quiet voice barely within the range of mortal ears.

"My father. He – it seemed that he had been expecting it. I know not why".

It seemed Aragorn's hearing was better than most of his kin. He nodded slightly and sighed. "They attacked your family too?" When I nodded, trying in vein to keep my face blank, he sighed. "I am so sorry for whatever has happened to you, Nesseldë", he murmured. "I can promise you our protection from now on, but you need to leave this cave and come with us to safety".

"If they find me, I will die", I lifted a shaking hand to brush my brittle hair away from my face.

Legolas spoke softly, his hands twisting distractedly around the clothes he held. "If you stay in one place, they are more likely to find you, especially if you have been here a while".

Legolas' logic made sense. I looked up at both of my companions, silently wondering if I could really trust them. What choice did I have? They were right – I would die if I stayed here, and I doubted these two would allow that to happen under their guard. To think that, as recently as yesterday, I might have preferred the former outcome to the latter. But life is not so easily relinquished.

Slowly, I nodded. Legolas and Aragorn both smiled, relieved. "Here", Legolas said, handing me his spare clothes. "We will wait for you outside". It cost me effort to give them both a tremulous smile. The friends returned it, ducking and leaving the cave.

Once I had changed, I glanced down at the clothes given to me and a rueful grin crossed my face. They were huge, even when I had rolled up the ends of the tunic and trousers, and hung, depressingly baggy, on my unhealthily thin body. Nevertheless, they were warm and soft, and I was grateful for Legolas' kindness.