Unlooked For

"Ness, come back to us."

The real world came into focus again. Galdor and Elrohir knelt before me. Caution kept the man from touching me, but Elrohir shuffled over, wrapping me in a hug. I rested against his shoulder and breathed for a moment.

It had been months since I was rescued from capture and certain death. My wounds were healed, though my left index finger was perhaps more crooked than the right. However, the hurts the men had carved into my mind still remained. As with the deaths of my family, I often found myself reliving the days spent with those men, torturing myself with images both of what had been and what had almost come to pass.

"I'm sorry." I muttered to the others, standing and stretching. "We should walk on."

"You are not yourself." Elrohir argued gently. "We are not far from camp. I could walk you back to Legolas and we can manage between the two of us."

I glared at him and started walking away. Both man and elf sighed, following me after a moment or two. "I am helping whether you like it or not. There is no time to spare."

"If my father were here, who do you think he would be reminded of?"

"One of my many uncles, no doubt." I said wearily. Little did I want to think of my murky heritage now when I was already in such a bad mood.

"Maedhros one-handed." Elrohir nodded. "Your mood, your courage, your determination. But Maedhros had little choice but to continue."

"Neither do I, cousin", I said shortly, "people look to us for strength."

Elrohir knew I was right. Barely a day would go by without us elves advising one frightened and demoralised ranger or another. Bizarrely, my survival and recovery seemed to give them heart. If I collapsed, if I gave up, so would they. I had to keep them going, no matter the cost to myself. The lives of many depended on it.

"We all admire you", Galdor intoned patiently, "but we also worry for you. That was a big thing you survived. Would it be so bad to take a break?" When I looked unconvinced, he went on pleadingly. "I'll cook tonight. You, go and spend some time with that poor elf of yours and relax for once. You've barely stopped since you could stand without swaying."

"Legolas is on watch tonight." I reminded them. My chest constricted at the thought. I had not spent a night without him since the kidnap.

"I'll take the bloody watch." Elrohir sighed, "if only you rest. You don't want him to go."

I glared at him. I had told him that very fact last night. In confidence. He knew it too. He took a step back and lowered his voice to a conciliatory tone. "I'm just worried. You know we swore to our father we would protect you."

"He won't let you take his place." I said blankly.

"He will." Galdor said cheerfully. "The twins told him this morning, and Aragorn agreed it was the best idea."

I opened my mouth and then closed it again, deciding that arguing was utterly pointless. "I thought Aragorn was of the opinion I relied on him too much."

"Estel and Elladan had a little chat, by which I mean my brothers tried to kill each other for the third time today, and he came to the stunning conclusion that elves and men have different romantic relationships."

I chuckled in spite of myself. Even though Aragorn's own beloved was an elf, he often misunderstood the companionship between Legolas and I, and believed I was leaning too much on him.

However, Aragorn knew not of how I could calm Legolas as much as he could me. He never saw him during a nightmare, tears leaking down the sides of his face with the blankets in a tangle around him. The elf himself never spoke of those moments, late in the night, where he would grip my hand until the world was real again, and I would never betray his trust by speaking of them on his behalf, not even to our dearest friend.