The truth- part 1

September 19 1983, Eli POV

        Max had been in our party for a month now, well, kinda, Mike still doesn't consider her as a member which I thought was complete bullshit. I understand that he misses El and everything but we all do. Over the past month I've noticed something a little off about Max, she's very flinchy around loud noises and seems to be a little panicked around big crowds of people and I'm not sure if I'm crazy or not but I feel like she's getting skinnier and skinnier by the week, she always stares forward in class like she's brain dead.
"Okay I heard there'll be a new x-men comic coming out." Dustin said excitedly sitting down at the lunch table.
"No one really cares." I said
"Well I care, we can get closer to every mutants secret." (A/n I literally know nothing about comic books I'm just trying to make a conversation.)
"You still owe me the x-men 134 comic." Will said
"Well shit." The boys broke into a small bicker over comic books and I took notice to how quiet Max was. I looked at her sitting across from me between Will and Lucas, she was staring again but this time at Dustins whole tray of food.
"Are you okay Max?" I asked, the boys stopped bickering and looked at her.
"She's just staring like always." Mike said
"Max? Max." Will said nudging her
"Huh? Oh. I-I'm sorry." She looked down sadly
"Nothing to apologize for, we just want to know if you're alright."
"Oh, umm yeah. I'm-I'm fine."
"You were staring at my food, are you hungry?" Dustin said with concern
"What? No, I'm okay."
"Well we don't ever see you with any food, are you sure?" I asked
"I can split mine with you." Lucas said
"N-No, I'm fine, you don't need to."
"But I insist."
"No, it's your food."
"Are you sure Max? you can have mine, I'm not really hungry." Will said placing his hand on her back.
"No, I can't."
"Seriously-"
"Stop! Just stop okay!" We all stopped and stared at her in shock, Max' eyes grew wide in fear. "I'm so sorry, I-I didn't mean to yell. I'm sorry." Dustin reached to take her hand but she quickly stood up and left, I went after her but didn't find her anywhere in the halls.
         Things like this kept happening, Max would just rage out of the sudden or just yell, she's been a little more jumpier and she looked exhausted, I noticed a few bruises every now and then but when I mentioned it she would panic and say they were skateboard accidents, I was starting to get really worried, during gym class in the locker room I got a small glimpse of her while she was changing and saw her ribs clear from the corner of my eye, it scared me and made me want to cry, I right away knew something was wrong.

Max POV

         I came back from the arcade late again causing me to get another beating. I sat in my bedroom trying to wipe off the blood running down my forehead with my old jacket, Susan had hit me with a empty whine bottle because she was drunk, luckily there wasn't any shards stuck in my cut. After getting the bleeding to stop I went to the kitchen to search through the trash can for food but to my luck Susan was there.
"What do you think you're doing?"
"I'm sorry, I just came to look for food."
"Oh. You want some food huh?"
       I nodded with my head down. "Then have some food." She took a plate of some kind of fast food and dumped it onto the floor, my lips parted slightly and I looked up at her to see a bored look on her face, she probably wants a show. "Well...eat." She motioned to the food on the floor, tears started to well up in my eyes. "Oh are you gonna cry now?..Eat." She said sternly, I got down on my knees and hands, I stayed like that for a moment. "I'm waiting." Susan raised her eyebrows and tapped her foot, I finally obeyed and ate the food off the floor like a dog, Susan watched with a disgusted look on her face. "Disgusting animal." She walked over and kicked me on the stomach hard enough to knock me over, I winced and whimpered in pain grabbing at my stomach. "Clean this up." She left the kitchen with me still on the floor crying.

                                    🛹 🛹 🛹

         I got to school and entered through the opposite doors than usual, I wanted to try and avoid the party so they wouldn't worry about the huge cut on my head, but that was gonna be hard speaking the fact that Eli's locker is next to mine and I have each class with at least one member. I sped walked to my locker and worked hard to get it open, when I did I went as fast as I could to get my things but I heard a familiar voice next to me. "Hey Max, I didn't think you were here today, we didn't see you at the doors."
Eli said, I turned towards my locker so my back was facing her, she took notice because Eli notices everything, even the smallest thing. "Hey...are you alright." I still didn't answer. "Max, did something happen?" Nothing. "Did I do something wrong?" Of course she blames herself right away, I shook my head this time.
"Then what's wrong?"
"Nothing."
"Then why won't you look at me?"
"I'm just getting my stuff."
"No, you're just standing there." Shit
"No I..."
"Max?"
"Nothing-it's nothing." Eli grabbed my shoulder and spun me around to face her.
"Max yo-oh my god!" I jumped back being startled slightly, Eli came forward and put her hands on my forehead to examine the huge cut. "What happened?!"
"I-I fell!"
"I know that doesn't happen from falling!"
"I, I did."
"You hesitated."
"N-No."
"What happened?"
"GET OFF ME!"
       Eli jumped back, fear rose in me, she was about to say something but I took off running, she wasn't far behind calling after me. I pushed past the other students in the hallway feeling myself get dizzy, tears welled in my eyes, heart racing, vision darkening, chest tight, knees turning into jelly. I stopped running feeling hands wrap around my wrist, I turned to see Eli shocked at my actions. "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" I collapsed in her arms crying continuing to repeat myself, she shushed me and held me close as we both fell to our knees, I looked over her shoulder and noticed we were in the parking lot, students from the middle and high school coming to see what was going on. I started panicking again, Eli helped me to my feet and walked through the crowd back to the school hearing whispers.
"She's weird."
"What's up with her?"
"That was odd."
"She's probably a psycho"
"She's retarded"
"Freak."
"What the heck."
         I started shaking but Eli kept her arm around me and took me to the bathroom and locked the door. I slid down onto the floor an hugged my knees to my chest trying to calm down, Eli sat next to me and rubbed my shoulder softly. My breathing slowed and the tears stopped but I continued to shake.
"What's going on?" Eli asked softly, I shrugged as response. "Please tell me."
"Nothing." I mumbled
"Seriously, I don't believe you. What happened out there wasn't nothing." I looked at Eli and stared, tears sat in my eyes threatening to fall. "Please. I'm worried about you."
"You are?" My voice began quivering
"Yes."
"Really?"
"Yes, I really am Max." I started crying again and hugged Eli tightly, it lasted for a few more moments then it was quiet. "If you don't want to tell me right now that's okay."
"I can do it."
"Okay. Go ahead."
"It's just that...m-my..."
"It's alright, take your time."
"My mother...she..."
"What?"
"Hurts me."
"Hurts you how?"
          It was to hard for me to explain so I got up on my knees and lifted my shirt up to reveal only skin, bone and a large bruise on my side, Eli gasped and reached to touch me but I put my shirt down and backed up. "Does she starve you?" I nodded, "And she did that didn't she?" The brunette pointed up at the cut on my head, I nodded again and sat down. "Maybe we can tell someon-"
"No! We can't."
"How come."
"I'll have nowhere to go, and even if nothing happens and Susan gets notified then I'm in deep shit."
"Susan?"
"My mother."
"Oh...can you at least let me and the party help you out in some way?"
"No, you can't tell anyone, not even the party."
"But can I at least help you? Please Max."
"Eli, I can't let yo-"
"No, I won't listen, I'm helping you and that's that."
               I sighed and laid into it, I knew I wouldn't be able to stop her so there's no meaning in trying. "Come on, we're probably 30 mins late to class." She got me to my feet and walked me out of the bathroom. When we entered class Mr. Clarke stopped and stared at us.
"What makes you two ladies late to my class."
"Sorry, umm, girl problems." Eli said
"Nope, don't need anymore of an explanation, just go sit down."
              I nodded and both Eli and me went to our seats in the back. When we sat down I looked to my right and saw the party staring at me, I have a feeling they saw everything like the rest of the school.

1647 words, this is only part one of the update, I will be making a part two in a moment, but if you hadn't realized there was a time skip and I felt like this was a little rushed but I'm a lazy beech and I want to get to the good stuff, aka the number one one.

6/22/20