The Case Of The Missing Lifeguard

!!Fanart above is not mine!!

[Max POV]

     We walked down the street, Will and Eliza on one side of me, El on the other, our hands locked together. We were almost to Billy's house, El saw something last night, she says it was bad, I don't know what to think, I mean, I don't want to think Billy would do something bad, he isn't bad. He isn't.

"Are you sure it was Billy?" I asked El.

"Yes, he looked at me."

"Well, maybe you just didn't see what you think you did."

"But, the screams." I inhaled deeply.

"Look El, Billy is a grown man, and a lot of people his age tend to do, adult stuff." I stopped and looked over at Eliza and Will, their brows raised.

"Adult stuff?"

"Yeah, and sometimes that adult stuff makes happy screams."

"Happy screams? What are happy screams?"

"Well, you know, the happy screams." I said through closed teeth. El furrowed her brows out of confusion, she'd know what I was talking about if I'd explain it better but I didn't want to make it awkward for Will and Eliza, well, Will more less I guess, him and Mike do that crap all the time. Well, did. Might be awhile before Will and Mike start talking.

     We rounded the corner to Billy's house, I tried to keep my attention up at his place to avoid any bad thought the house next to it might gift me with.

"His car's not here." Will said.

"He's probably at work." I replied staring forward.

"You sure you wanna do this El?" Eliza asked. El nodded and looked forward with a serious look starting to make her way to the door with the rest of us following.

     After unlocking it we stepped into the house, it was cold, very cold, it was dark too. We walked around for a bit checking everything out. "Anything look off to you Max?" Eliza asked me. I shook my head making my way into the kitchen. I looked around finding nothing but a pile of papers on the counter. I walked over and picked up one of the sheets, it was a letter from some kind of social service.

"Max." I jumped and turned to see Will standing there.

"Yeah?"

"El found something." My heart skipped a beat or two. I put down the paper and followed him farther back into the house reaching the bathroom where El and Eliza were. I walked up to them, Eliza holding something plastic over the bathtub. I took it and opened it reading the words on it.

"Ice. It's just ice. Billy works out a lot, so it's probably for his muscles." I put the bag back in the tub and turned to leave, I stopped when my attention was pulled away to El. I walked up to her and followed her eyes over to the cabinet under the sink, on the handle was a smudge of red, it looked like...blood. Eliza came from behind and opened the door pulling out a small trash can, as she looked inside it her eyes widened.

"What is it?" Will asked. Eliza reached in and pulled out a lifeguard fanny pack. I'm sure it was just Billy's, he works at the neighborhood pool. But never in a million years would I see Billy using a fanny pack, it still could be his.

     Eliza put the bag down and reached her hand back in, this time pulling out a yellow whistle with red stains all over it. Perhaps he just spilled something on it and needs a new one. Eliza looked from the whistle to the rest of us. I think everyone had a good idea where to look next.

-

     We got to the pool jogging up to the entrance crashing into the people running out and away. Upon getting inside we pulled down the hood of our raincoats and looked around. Eliza tapped my shoulder and pointed to the front desk where a guy and a girl sat. I nodded and approached with Will and El following.