Chapter 1: Ardor

"Riba, come quickly!" Medoro exclaimed, giddily. His eyes were full of wonder and glee.

"Hold your horses, Medoro!" Riba laughed, somewhat nervously. He was stumbling behind, carrying a bag full of natural produce from the supermarket. He was being careful as to not spill the fresh, delicious food. But Medoro insisted. Reaching forward his hand, he grabbed Riba's and started running at full speed. Medoro was a surprisingly fast runner. Riba dropped the bag, but managed to catch it before it hit the ground, which would have ruined the five star dish he would be cooking up tonight.

"S-slow down!" Riba exclaimed, his voice shaky and a little annoyed, though he tried to hide it.

"Don't be such a spoilsport, Riba!" Medoro laughed. He shot a big smile toward Riba. Any semblance of unease or contempt with this situation fled Riba's mind. Just seeing Medoro enjoy himself was all he needed. Even if he could be a bit of a pain sometimes, Riba and Medoro were happy. That's all that really matters, right?

They sped through Central Bubblaine as fast as they could. Riba still juggling apples, a loaf of bread, and other foodstuffs. They both dashed off into the sun, which was making its way down the distant horizon. Riba, still unsure of where they were going exactly, just continued running.

This continued until they reached a beach a few minutes later. Tired from the long run, Riba sat down on the sandy shore. Medoro, showing no signs of fatigue whatsoever, just stared off into the distance.

"What did you bring me here for?" Riba asked, looking up to Medoro.

Medoro looked at him and smiled again. "Do you see it?" Medoro looked back at the ocean, the evening sunset reflecting off his eyes. Riba, breaking out of the trance triggered by the look in Medoro's eyes, looked forward. It was becoming clear to him. There was a large glass in the distance. Like one you would drink wine or another special drink out of. It was adorned with bronze, and seemed filled to the brim with a sparkling water of some kind.

"What's a giant drinking glass doing over there?" Riba asked. "It's like something out of one of your stories."

Medoro looked at him and chuckled. "I was here a very long time ago, on the other side of the beach," Medoro pointed forward. "It was before I met you. Before I went into that house."

Indeed he had. Long ago, Medoro was a free, adventurous spirit who came from the Mushroom Kingdom, a land far away from where he resides now. (The Seaside Kingdom, for those of you wondering.) He had a completely different life, completely different friends, and a completely different name, not having the need for an alias to avoid uproar. And it was Mario.

Oh, the adventures he had! Each one was different (well, for the most part,) and full of fun. He had a brother named Luigi, a love interest in the form of a princess named Peach, and a dinosaur best friend named Yoshi! And that's just scratching the surface of Mario's many pals. An evil turtle dragon named Bowser would kidnap Peach every now and again to try and marry her. Mario decided, he would take a stand.

He saved the day every time, not breaking a sweat at any point. In his down time, he would race karts, play sports, go to the casino, and even teach young children in school. No matter what he did, he did it with a smile on his face and a spring in his step.

That was all until one day... a day where Princess Peach told Mario about a strange house that reports say lay on the border between the Mushroom Kingdom and the Cap Kingdom. She had sent multiple Toads out to greet the people of the Cap Kingdom, bringing them gifts for their help in saving her after Bowser kidnapped her last.

However, the rain proved too much for one poor Toad. He fell ill with a horrible cold. Toadsworth, the leader of the party and Peach's father, gave the Toad his vest for warmth and led him into the house. The others went on without them as per Toadsworth's orders.