Chapter 10: Riba's Inferno

While the area surrounding the castle grounds was grassy and cool, with those special spring feelings in the air no matter the actual season, the castle grounds were an inferno of fire and lava. What was once a deep blue lake was now a flood of molten rock. What was once green grass was now reduced to bare bones stone. Meteors fell from the sky, coming out of nearby volcanoes. Riba and the others were trekking through it all. But watching them from the window of the castle... was King Bowser.

"Let me look!" Queen Peachette whined, reaching for the binoculars.

"What? No way!" Bowser replied. "It's my turn."

"Ooh! How about me, dad?" Bowser JR. exclaimed from behind them, hopping up on his father's shoulders.

"Not now, junior," Bowser said.

"Me, me! I want a turn!" Ludwig Von Koopa cried. Soon, the room was a flurry of Koopa kids pleading to get their way. A vein bulged on Bowser's head.

"Everyone... go to your ROOOMS!" Bowser shouted. The Koopa kids cried out in obnoxious fear, jumping into the air and then running to their rooms. Peachette took this opportunity to steal the binoculars away from Bowser, laughing mockingly. "What? Hey!"

"King Bowser, why are Professor E. Gadd, Bucken-Berry and Ala-Gold with those intruders?" Peachette asked, as her binoculars focused in on Riba and the others.

"Let me see!" Bowser yelled, shoving his way back to the binoculars. "Hey! It's that fish boy and the hand girl from before!"

"What are you talking about?" Peachette asked. "You haven't answered my question!"

"It doesn't matter!" Bowser snapped. "Call in the troops! Make sure they don't survive! Oh... and tell the people at the lab to open the vault."

Riba hid behind a pillar as a Koopa Troopa rounded the corner. Everybody followed suit. The Koopa Troopa walked right past them. "That was close..." Riba sighed. He then heard what sounded like a tornado siren coming from the castle. Everybody turned their heads to the castle.

"Oh no..." Bucken-Berry gasped.

"They found us!" Ala-Gold followed up. Just then, Bill Blasters rose up from the ground. "Uh... oh..."

Riba, with a swing of his machete, split the blasters in two before they could shoot Bullet Bills at them. "We must get inside and confront Bowser!" Riba shouted. "Everybody stay close together."

Riba and the others raced towards the castle, fending off many members of Bowser's Army that had come to aid Bowser in the fight against Riba and his team. There were Blarggs coming up from the lava to swallow them whole. Dry Bones trying to whack them with their own bones. Fiery Ameboids jumping out of the lava and splitting in five to try and burn them. And so many more. It was absolute chaos.

But finally, they reached the drawbridge. "Hurry!" Riba shouted. Everybody ran across the drawbridge, and finally reached the doors.

"Don't you figure it's locked?" Len asked.

"No," Riba replied. "Think about it. If he wanted us to stay out of the castle completely, he would have raised the drawbridge. He wants a confrontation. Besides, from what Mario told me, Bowser doesn't seem like one to run away from a fight."

A silence fell upon the area. Riba then realized what he had said. He had confirmed he had something to do with Mario. The Mushroom Kingdom's number one fugitive. He figured they would find out sooner or later... but he wanted it to be on his terms. If he had thought that through, he would've been able to explain himself right there. But now no matter what he did, he would gather suspicion targeted towards him.

"I mean--- that is to say---!" Riba said, his voice shaking as if it was on a tightrope. He didn't know what to say. He felt a creeping feeling in the back of his head, and a sinking one in his chest. E. Gadd and the Toads looked at him with unreadable expressions.

"Whoa, whoa, Riba!" E. Gadd exclaimed. "Calm down, sonny! What's the problem? Something about Mario?"

Riba decided, he would have to come clean. He was already backed into a corner. If he denied everything, he would draw even more suspicion. Although... E. Gadd did not seem like one who would mind. He didn't know about the Toads. Regardless... he said it.

"When Mario and I escaped the mansion, we lived together for many years," Riba stated. "He told me stories of his adventures. He told me of Luigi, Yoshi, Peach, Daisy, and of course Bowser. That's why I even know who Bowser is in the first place."

"Well then, where's Mario?" E. Gadd asked. Bucken-Berry and Ala-Gold were looking at each other, shocked.

Riba looked to the ground. For once, E. Gadd looked unhappy. "Mario is no longer with us," he muttered. Len closed her eyes and faced the ground to show respect.

"Ah... I'm sorry," E. Gadd apologized. E. Gadd wasn't even sure if he should call Mario a good man. For all he knew, Mario had killed the princess in cold blood all those years ago. However, he could tell Riba was vulnerable. "Mario was a jolly soul," E. Gadd spoke. Riba looked up slightly at E. Gadd. "He laughed, played, and jumped for joy his whole life. I'm sure you made him happier a thousandfold."

Riba smiled. "Right. I have a chance to get him back, I just need to take it," Riba looked to Len. She looked away. Riba knew she would take him to Mario once this was all over. That was part of the deal. "And to get there, I need that Memory Fragment." Riba looked to the castle doors. And opened them.