Chapter 1. Airborne

Start from the beginning

"When I was seven. I'm eighteen now, Dad. I don't have the same personality as my seven year old self, alright?" I snap at him, regretting my words just as I see his face fall.

"I know, Clover." he murmurs, placing the tarp of my tent over the connected poles.

"Dad, I didn't mean to--"

"It's fine. Let's just drop it, okay?" he says.

"Okay.." I mutter in reply.

"Kelvin, do we really need a hot dog machine with us?" Mom forcibly laughs.

"Honey, do you expect me to not live without hot dogs for the entire weekend?" Dad replies with an odd chuckle and walks over to Mom to help unpack some more.

I nearly gag at his response. Hot dogs have never been a friend of mine; neither has any meat, really. I've been a vegetarian for two months now and it sickens me to even look at raw, or even cooked meat. The reason for my meatless fasting is because I witnessed three months ago, a butchery shop who forgot to close their back door where they would slaughter the meat. It was horrifying to see and I swore to myself to take a break from meat for a while.. maybe even forever if I can never get that image out of my mind.

As night falls, the only light source is the fire Dad had built with some broken logs and twigs he found. He did bring an axe for the weekend, but he didn't have to use it tonight. The strange thing is, it appears as though the logs he found lying in the forest were cleanly cut by an axe already. Dad assumed it must be other campers who left already.

No, he didn't just steal the wooden logs; he called out for anybody to claim them, three times. He waited for about ten minutes for anyone to come back to claim them, then left when nobody showed.

"I'm heading to bed. See you two in the morning." Mom says goodnight to Dad and I, placing kisses on our cheeks and then leaving to her and Dad's tent.

The fire crackling keeps the atmosphere between Dad and I less awkward, which I suppose is a plus instead of having to make small talk.

"About today.. I know you aren't a little girl anymore, Clo. You're heading off to college after summer, for goodness sake. I'm just going to miss you and I wanted us to get together as a family before you head out into the world on your own." Dad explains.

"I'm sorry I snapped at you like that, Dad. This whole trip just.. I don't know; never mind." I quietly end my words.

"Wait, what were you going to say?" he persists.

"It's nothing." I shut down.

"Clover--"

A loud, deep howl echoes throughout the forest and birds fly up into the sky, flying quickly away from the warning sound. Dad glances over to me and cautiously stands up, picking up his shotgun from behind his lawn chair. Dear old Dad has been hunting since he was just a boy, out tracking wild animals with his own father; you could say he is an expert at hunting stealthily, but tonight, it would be smart of him not to go since it's easier for him to get attacked during the dark.

"Alright, get inside your tent. I'll scope our campsite out for a couple minutes; make sure it's secure." Dad informs me.

"Yeah, okay." I reply and head into my own tent, zipping it back up once I am inside.

The thing I chose not to tell my father, was that this trip seems to be more than just a traditional camping trip. Yes, I know Dad said he wanted to get closer with me, but I have noticed some things these past two weeks. For instance, my parents have been taking their fights elsewhere, away from me; they have been speaking in hushed tones, and have been ignoring one another when I am not around.