11. Blake's fallen in the stream again.

Start from the beginning

'You seem to have already thought this through in detail, Professor,' Minerva sighed.

In fact, Draco had spent much of the morning sitting by his father's bedside, talking across Lucius's unconscious body to his mother about such things. They had hatched the plan between them. He told Minerva and Potter that they'd decided it made sense that Draco would continue to run the Apothecary business, but as far as he was concerned, he would run it remotely. There was no need for him to brew unless it was a very specialist request. He just needed to liaise with the current manager regarding how Draco wanted things running. When Narcissa expressed an interest in stepping up to run Lucius's main business venture herself, Draco had shrugged his shoulders. As far as he was concerned, why not? His mother was an extremely capable person and if she wanted to run his father's business relating to magical artefacts, well, who was he to argue. In fact, he wasn't interested and probably would have sold most of it off but she said there were a number of artefacts she was rather keen to trade and she seen some items she thought would rather add to the collection, she was contemplating making the collection public. He was surprised to hear her mention Marcus Greengrass in passing as a potential trading partner. As for the businesses which dealt with Gringotts' Curse-breakers and the Ministry's Unspeakables, well neither Draco nor Narcissa were entirely sure what they were about but an initial glance at the books suggested they weren't worth much and unless something turned up in the next few days, he would, as discussed, close those particular ventures. He didn't feel a need to try and continue his father's flailing influence in the Ministry.

'Well, Malfoy seems to have everything under control for once, so I guess I can't complain,' Potter smirked but Draco knew well enough there was a look of concern behind the foolish smile.

'Indeed,' Minerva said. 'But if I see you slipping I will make you take time off.'

'Headmistress, my priorities are the students, they have O.W.L.s and N.E.W.T.s coming up and I want to see them succeed. I will not slip, as you put it.'

'Good,' Minerva said through a thin smile. 'See to it that he doesn't, Professor Potter.'

Potter went red and spluttered, 'I don't see how...'

'Ah, look, I see your charges are returning, perhaps I should stay a while and listen to what they have been learning over the past few days.'

'Professor, Professor!' Emily was shouting as they came down the hill into the camp. 'Professor Malfoy! We found a patch of Monkshhod and we've collected some for you. Oh, hello Headmistress McGonagall.'

Draco was out of his seat in seconds, 'who picked it? Did you touch the leaves?'

'Patty remembered everything you told us yesterday and Pedro transfigured the vial into a jar and Patty used the charm you showed us so she didn't touch the plant at all and we've only picked a few of the flowers because you said they didn't last,' Emily rushed her words out in excitement. 'And then Jacob wrote down the co-ordinates in case you wanted to go back next Spring for more.' She grinned, pleased with her account as she held out a jar filled with small purple flowers.

Draco couldn't help smiling, foremost in relief that none of the students had poisoned themselves, and secondly, that they'd listened to and remembered everything he'd said. 'Well, twenty house points each, don't you think, Potter?'

Harry smiled broadly. 'Indeed, I do,' he said, his green eyes sparkling as he saw Minerva's face. It was a mixture of amazement and pride as she studied her potions master. He watched her nod in approval as the students crowded around Malfoy to show off their findings and present them to him.

His musings were interrupted by a loud splash down by the stream and they all looked in that direction to see Lily's group emerge from between the trees.