Chapter I

Mara's POV:
"Are you sure you'll be fine with the both of them?"

I roll my eyes as I help my mother unload her bags at the airport. "Yes. I'm positive. It's three days, Mom. What could go wrong?"

"I'm sorry. You know I worry. With your dad still on that deployment mission and unreachable it's hard for me to leave you alone."

"Elementary school classes start at nine thirty. Pick up is at four. Dinner on the table before seven and a story at bedtime. My first semester just closed. I have nothing but free time until things start up after Christmas. I got it. Go before you miss your flight."

"Violet. Ryan." The six-year-old twins took turns hugging her in their car seats. "I'll be back in a few days. Be good for your sister," she orders, tousling their sandy blond hair. Those two are a carbon copy of dad. She pulled me close. "Don't let them burn the house down, Mara."

"We'll be fine, Mom. I promise."

"Okay." She starts to walk away before turning around. "No boyfriend over while I'm gone."

Not this again. "As if I could catch a guy, Mom. That you definitely shouldn't be worrying over."

"You took after me, Mara. Boys see dark hair and pretty green eyes and they're practically drooling. Of course they want you," she responds, humility nowhere to be found.

I blush lightly, starting to get uncomfortable with her confidence in this. "Just go, Mom. We've done this before."

"Alright, alright. I love you all."

"Love you too. Have fun signing stuff," I joke. I knew how much she hated that side of her job. The travel could be fun, but reading fine lines and signing stacks of paperwork... I couldn't blame her for complaining about it. "Alright. You guys ready to go home?" I ask, slipping into the driver's seat again.

"Can we watch a movie when we get home?" Violet begged me.

"With popcorn?" Ryan tacks on. "And M&M's?"

"Please?" the pair pleaded together.

"I guess that depends on if you two can be nice for the half hour it'll take to get home."

Excluding the radio, the entirety of the ride home was silent.
~~~~~
The rest of that day and most of the next we're fine. Unfortunately for the now-starving Violet and Ryan, chaos struck at dinner time. My phone rang just as I set the pasta plates in front of the twins. "Hey, Mom. How's New York?"

"Mara, listen to me. Pack a bag for you and the twins and leave town. They know. They know about you. About what you'll soon be. Get out of San Diego. Even move across the country. Just get out of that house."

"Mom, what's going on? You're—"

"Mara, now!"

"Okay! I'm going upstairs. Why are you so scared? What's this about? A gang or something?"

"You are special, Mara. Never speak of what you are. Not to anyone. Do you understand?"

I hear a gunshot. Then the call was cut. "Mom? Mom!" The twins run upstairs. "Go get our toothbrushes," I tell them.

"What happened? Why were you yelling?" Violet asks.

"I don't know. Just—Just do as I tell you. Violet, toothbrushes and toothpaste. Ryan get your backpacks. Take your school stuff out. Put some toys in each of them." I rush through the house, packing our clothes in a small suitcase before throwing electronics and coordinating chargers on top. I grab a duffel bag to pack snacks and bathroom supplies in, handing them their tennis shoes out of the hall closet. "Get in your car seats," I say, loading the trunk after opening the garage door.

"Where are we going?" Ryan asks as I make sure they buckled themselves in properly.

I think for a moment and only one option came to mind. "Mom was worried about something. She wants us to stay with Grams," I lied. "We need to leave town for a while. We'll get a new dinner at McDonald's, okay?" They both nod quietly. In any other situation the pair would have been jumping with joy. Not today. "Nuggets or burgers?"

"Nuggets," they both mumbled.

I open the driver side door and turn the ignition, pulling out before calling my grandmother. "Hi, sweetie. It's been so long since I heard from you."

"Grams," I keep my voice low. "Something happened. Something happened to Mom. Is there any way we could drive in tomorrow and stay with you?"

"Of course, dear. I'll get the guest sheets washed and made up for you. We still have a queen in there." There was a long pause. "What happened, dear?"

"I can't talk about it right now. Not with Violet and Ryan awake. It'll be too much for them. It's too much for me, honestly."

"Okay. Well, don't be driving too late in the dark, honey."

"I'm getting some fast food for dinner and finding a hotel or something. We should be in tomorrow morning." Figuring it was early enough, I pulled into the McDonald's parking lot so they could play inside. Maybe it would distract them. "Ryan. Violet. Come eat," I say as they start to climb up the miniature rope structure for the third time. I drop my jacket inside the booth, setting my phone on the table before pulling out the happy meals. "Don't bother with your shoes. Just come on while it still hot."