Chapter 8: The Plan

After the meeting in the library, everyone left the room except for Maryse and Robert Lightwood. Clary was dreading seeing her brother, but it was part of the plan. Now, before you judge her, Clary was forced upon this job by both Valentine and Jonathan. They threatened the one person that she cared about more than anyone else in the world, her mother. It was then that she realized that her mother was in fact alive, but that had been over two months ago. Who knows what had happened to her by now. Clary was extremely worried about being discovered, they already suspected her. Well, the Lightwood children did, she wasn't sure about their parents or Jace. Jace... She knew that as soon as her brother showed up, it would be all over unless he decided to be nice and pretend to to be the caring, angelic brother he isn't. Jace lead the both of them into a room, which at first sight seemed to be barren. But stepping in closer, she realized that someone lived in this room. The bed was of complete white and was made completely, there didn't even appear to be a wrinkle showing. Scanning the rest of the room she saw a small golden box sitting on the oak nightstand with the initials S.H. inscribed in the front in neat handwriting and a single picture of the Lightwood family and Jace hanging on the wall. The rest of the bedroom consisted of a large, double-door walk in closet, two large windows, a door that lead to a connected bathroom, an oak dresser and a wall-hanging mirror. Clary stepped in front of the mirror, glancing at herself. She had to admit her reflection was greatly improved, but she still looked tired, weak and sick. The dark circles under her eyes seemed more prominent, dimming the emerald green of her eyes to more of a forest green. Her lips were incredibly chapped and she wondered how long it had been since she had eaten. Jace stepped behind her, putting himself in the reflection as well. She couldn't help her eyes, which scanned over his appearance. He was wearing the same clothes as before, but somehow he looked different. She couldn't quite put her finger on it. "Do you want anything to eat?" She nodded slightly, trying not to look too eager. Here he was, being kind to her and giving her everything she needs and she was going to expose him and the Lightwoods, for crimes that they didn't commit. Crimes that in fact, both Valentine and Jonathan had committed. But she was beginning to understand why Valentine had always envied this family, it was quite plain now. There was love flowing between all of them, connecting them to one another. Clary herself envied it slightly, the only person she had ever loved was her mother who had in turned loved her back. Then she was thrown into the world with Valentine where love was considered a weakness. 'To love is to destroy and to be loved is to be the one destroyed.' That was what he had drilled into her brain, but that hadn't stopped Clary from looked at the beauty of things, and that's what she decided she was going to do now. At that moment, the ringing of a large bell echoed throughout the institute and Clary automatically tensed. "The doorbell," Jace mumbled. "It's probably your brother, we should go meet him at the door." Clary nodded and followed him out to the front door. Jace threw it open and Clary's heart went to her throat. "Hello dear sister," a voice said. Clary looked up and was met with the sight of her brother, Jonathan Morgenstern, smiling evilly.