The Voice Of Defiance

Chapter one: Awake.

It was my turn to stay awake. There wasn’t any taking chances since the new clamps. I lay staring at the black room, trying to distract myself, distract myself from the pure terror pulsing in my veins. Nights were always the worst. Although I was becoming accustomed to living looking over my shoulder. To not being able to head out to the shop to get milk without taking a knife in the waistband of my jeans. After all I’d been living this life for over a year now.

Xavier was snoring so loudly I could hear him in the next room. Our flat was small. With four rooms, a bedroom that liberty and I shared. A living room where Xavier bunked on the couch and a kitchen and a bathroom. So it was a little unfair that Xavier had to sleep in the living room. But he did snore and there were two girls and one guy so he drew the short straw.

I sighed and rolled over in my bed, trying to find a comfortable position. No matter how much I tossed and turned I couldn’t lie comfortably so I got up and headed for the kitchen. It was a warm September night but none of the windows were open, too risky. I pulled the kitchen blinds apart a fraction and peered out into the dark parking lot, five floors down. The moon reflected dully off the cars and two policemen patrolled the area, Alsatians by their sides and rifles pointed to the ground. Paper blew around them and danced in the beams of their flashlights. I closed the blinds, turned to face the room and squinted at the clock. Four fifty-eight, liberty might get up soon but Xavier would sleep until past midday. It was a Saturday and I was the only one who worked on a Saturday. A few hours at my diner job. Waitressing wasn’t exactly well paid. But if I could get in enough hours I could just about cover my third of the rent and the electric bills. And at an all night diner, there are always plenty of hourse to be worked.

                                                                        ***

My parents had been rebels. Lived in secret for thirteen years, not paying their allocated money to the president. Not obeying the rules layed out. Living as they wished and where. They had been in hiding for two years when they had me. I was sent to an underground school. They found them when I was eleven. Killed them. I had been in the care of the president’s people ever since then. Left school at sixteen with Xavier and Liberty. Moved here. That was eighteen months ago now. They didn’t kill the children of rebels if they were under sixteen. They took them and schooled them in institutes, kind of like boarding schools. It wasn’t hard for us because they wanted us to choose to be just like them. If you chose to become just another clone in the retrace then you could join society. If, by the age of sixteen you hated the president like anyone with a rational mind. Then you had two options. Run, or die. That’s us, we ran. We’re hiding.

Before this, I had attended one of the best institutes in the country. I let them think they had me good. Then, just before graduation, Xavier, Liberty and I just vanished. Joined the rebels and disappeared between the cracks. They don’t try too hard to find rebels. The think most of us are dead now. But they’re so wrong. We’re building numbers close to that of regular citizens fast. Waiting in the wings before we attack.

We changed our names when we left school and started running. I was Emily before, Liberty was Liara and Xavier was Leo. Changed out identities to avoid detection. This was the reason we had jobs and a place to live, rather than a cell or the gallows.

I almost jumped out of my skin when I saw Xavier standing in the doorway.

‘since when are you up before midday on a Saturday?’ I asked. He shrugged and flicked the kettle on for coffee. He spooned granules into two cups and poured water over them, still with the lights off. He added milk and sugar to both and sat down next to me.

‘thanks,’ I said, sipping the hot coffee. ‘so why the early rise?’

‘I guess I couldn’t sleep.’ He replied, his voice husky with sleep. He cleared his throat. ‘bad dreams.’

‘what about?’ I asked, although it really spoke for itself. The only thing any of us would have a nightmare about. Getting caught.

‘runners were chasing me. In and empty building. With dogs. And then I knew there was no escape so I jumped down an elevator shaft.’ He gulped coffee.

‘it’s alright.’ I said, although it was far from it. Xavier worried most about the RDA finding us. Recently he’d  been spending as much time as possible at the flat, with the curtains drawn.

He was staring down at his cup, eyebrows mashed together.

‘its not alright.’ He mumbled. I knew he was right. It was far from it. People shouldn’t get murdered for what they think, we shouldn’t be labelled as rebellious because we don’t agree with the way the country is run. They shouldn’t try to eradicate anyone who thinks differently. But they do, and people die everyday because of it.

I finished my coffee and pushed my chair back.

‘I have to get ready for work,’ I said and headed for the bedroom. Liberty was still crashed out in her bed and I rummaged for my black work trousers and a clean, white blouse. I grabbed clean underwear and headed to the bathroom. I stared at my sunked face in the mirror, my hair was still in the messy ponytail I had stuck it in last night. Loose strands were hanging around my face. My blue eyes had dark rings around them. I always looked terrible after my night staying up. Ten minutes later I was showered and combing the tangles out of my black hair. I dressed and snapped my ID band around my wrist.