Chapter 20: Sweet and Sour

We progressed along nicely with dinners out, watching movies on the couch. The petting got heavier and the cuddling got a lot steamier. I slept at her house more often than I slept at mine, and even put some toiletries in her bathroom, which she did not object to. She had a wicked grin on her face when she asked, "Are you sure you trust me with your stuff?"

We've talked a fair amount about Millie and the girls, which was a necessary conversation. After ten days, I had to leave to go back to London to see the girls. Dulcie is dancing in a show at her preschool and I wouldn't miss it for the world. Dakota advises me, "Be sure and take her flowers for after the show."

"I was planning to."

"But not a big bouquet, something appropriate for her size like a posy or a nosegay – little girls love those."

I can't help but grin at her enthusiasm, "Speaking from experience?"

She nodded excitedly, "Oh yes. Daddy always brought me flowers after every performance. And be sure to pick one with the right meaning."

I frown at that, "Meaning?"

She bops her head again, "All flowers symbolize something. Whenever Daddy gave me flowers, Mama would explain what they meant. For example, daisies represent innocence, purity, and hope."

"DONE! Daisies for Dulcie for life!"

She chuckles, "You could also go with white rosebuds, they signify girlhood and innocence. Asters are also a good choice because they mean love and daintiness."

I filed away this significant piece of information about Dakota. Flowers have special meaning to her that most of us mere mortal men have no clue about. I will take extra care in the flowers I give from now on.

***

This time with Jamie has been divine. True to his word, he has been diligent in his attentions, but has not pressured me for sex. We are, as he says, learning our way around each other. And from the experience, I would have to say that his hands and his mouth definitely know their way around a woman's body. There is not an inch of me that he hasn't touched, kissed and licked. Who knew the back of your arms could be an erogenous zone?!? Not me! Until the night he had me on my belly and licked and kissed his way from my shoulder to my elbow.

I have done my share of exploring his magnificence as well. He is not at all body shy, and I mean really, why would he be? While all of this has been extremely enjoyable and is moving me closer and closer to readiness, it's also unleashed some of my insecurities. The night before he leaves, I finally muster up the confidence to ask, "Jamie, how many 'companions' have you had since your divorce?" I gulp, not quite believing I asked that question.

He takes a sip of his wine, crosses his arms on the table and meets my eyes. "Six." Damn, that is way more than I was expecting. What I wasn't expecting was his counter move, "And you?"

I meet his eyes with equal strength, "Two."

He takes another sip. "Chris and ???"

I take a sip too, "I'm not asking you for the names of your harem, so you don't get to either." I am peeved and I can't help it, "So let me get this straight. You finally get divorced, and your first order of business was to go out and get laid by SIX different women?!?! You didn't think to, oh I don't know, maybe reach out to me?"

He doesn't even hesitate. "No. I didn't. For all I knew, you were in a committed relationship and I was a hot mess. I needed to be a stronger man before I faced you again."

I snort, "I'm sure they gave you a good workout, Champ."

He leans forward to speak more earnestly toward me, "Dakota, how is this even relevant? We weren't together. I was a mess. You were in a relationship. What does it matter now?" He reaches out to take my hand, "What matters is that the minute I read the script for Undeniable I knew it was yours. I took it as an omen that this was my way back to you. I have not been with or seen anyone sexually or socially from that moment. I was, and I am, dedicated to winning you."