nine

"nice hair," luke commented from behind me. i groaned and picked a strand of my hair up, which was soaking.

the alarm had decided not to go off so it left me no time to dry my hair so that's why i probably looked like i had just gotten caught in a rainstorm. what i hadn't thought about was luke there to witness the end product of my morning fiasco during pre-calc.

"i woke up late," i muttered in response, not bothering to turn around to look at him.

"i happen to like the 'i woke up late' look," he said.

"well, i happen to not care if you like it or not," i retorted and turned around to see a smile slowly form on his face.

unlike the last time we were in class, his eyes were brighter and the dark circles under his eyes were now nonexistent. which was odd considering last night he probably didn't go to sleep until one in the morning.

"not a morning person, are you?" his teeth toyed with the black lip ring on his lip, tugging it back and forth; a habit of his that i had come to known.

"fuck you," i muttered. he flashed me a grin in response.

he reached up to brush away a stray piece of blonde hair that had fallen in front of his eyes, and the fluorescent lights caught onto a pink bracelet he usually wore, one that i had noticed.

i strained my eyes to see the letters on it but his hand fell onto his lap before i could figure it out. the bell rang, indicating that class had ended and students were rushing out of the classroom, eager to leave.

unlike darting out of the classroom as soon as he could, luke seemed to be waiting as i gathered my things. "are you lost?" i asked as i shoved a heavy textbook into my bag, "do you want me to walk you to your locker?" i said, rolling my eyes.

"no," he said, standing there. we were the only two in the room, and considering how much i had seen luke the last couple of days was nauseating.

i stood up, hanging my bag over my shoulder. quickly, i darted out of the room, with luke trailing behind me.

"donahue, why are you avoiding me?" luke said as he caught up to me with no effort. walking side by side, i hoped that no one saw us together. it would only bring me unnecessary attention, since the whole school seemed to fall to their knees whenever he was around for some unknown reason.

of course, before we could take another step, courtney walked up to us with two girls on her side talking obnoxiously loudly. "luke!" she batted her long lashes, and shoved herself in between luke and me.

i stumbled to the side, scoffing at the way she was twirling her hair and how unnecessarily strong her perfume was. it lowkey made me want to gag but i ignored it. "well, seems like you've got somebody on your hands, bye," i said.

slipping in between the crowd, i finally managed to arrive at my locker, and let out a sigh. before i had to a chance to take another break, molly came up from behind me and started shouting.

"what were you doing with luke?" molly demanded, crossing her arms. i was almost amused at her expression, which was a mixture of being cross and intrigued. her eyes stared into mine, lifting an eyebrow as she waited for my response.

"nothing, we were just talking," i answered, spinning the lock to open my locker. once again, the universe was against me getting a break, when all i wanted was for everybody to leave me alone.

"oh," molly replied, and i could tell she was not convinced, "so i heard you and calum are a thing? is that true?"

"molly, i will explain everything to you if you just stop talking." i huffed, putting another textbook into my bag, which felt like it was going to rip my arm any moment now.