chapter 1: pills

I stood on the tip of my toes making sure my back was perfectly straight, my back was in pain as I did this. I lifted my foot and did a pirouette. I fell to the ground.

“Fuck” I muttered standing up, I’ve never been able to do a pirouette, I’ve tried but it always ends the same, falling face first to the ground.

I walked over to the full sized mirrors and sighed. My hair was stuck down to my face. Sweat was dripping down my brow, my stockings and leotard were hugging my body, I needed to buy a new pair of pointe shoes but my mum won’t let me because the pair I want cost too much, so the ones I’m wearing are tattered and holding on for dear life.

 I sighed and slipped my tracksuit pants over my leotard and threw on my hoody before chucking on my converse and throwing my pointe shoes into my sports girl bag.

I pulled my hair out of its tight bun and into a ponytail before walking out the door.

I placed my headphones in my ears and let love me for me by Cher Lloyd take over, drifting me away from reality.

-----

“Mum!” I called when I walked through the door.

“I’m home!” I called again before grabbing a bottle of water out of the fridge.

“I’m in your room!” I froze and ran up the stairs.

I opened my door and she was putting my clothes away.

“I’ll do that!” I said after sliding my bag off my shoulder and onto my bed.

“Are you sure? I always put them away…” she said cautiously, I nodded and grabbed the basket taking out all my clothes.

“I’m sure, now go! Make dinner or something I’m starving!” I said pushing her out the door.

“Fine, I’ll call you if I need your help.” She said before I shut the door.

I let out a sigh of relief and rested the back of my head on my door.

I walked over to my pyjamas drawer and pulled out the back, I sighed and clutched the small bottle of pills in my hands gripping on it for dear life.

I closed the back of my drawer and looked around my room.

“Where am I going to hide these?” I asked myself looking around, I thought about a place that nobody knew about, where I would always know it is… An idea struck.

I walked over to my bed and zipped open my bag, I looked inside the pockets; I pulled open the hidden zip and dropped the small container of anti-depression pills into it.

I put all my clothes away before heading down the stairs to find my mum on the phone.

“No problem I’ll put her on” My mum said a smile on her lips. She placed the phone in my hands. I looked at her cautiously before putting the phone to my ear.

“Hello?” I said into the small holes at the bottom on the phone.

“Hello Michele, its Jay your dance instructor. I have been asked to choose seven girls to audition for a music video and I thought it would be a great opportunity for you.” My dance instructor said over the phone.

“Oh uh… okay?” I grabbed the pen and notepad that were by the phone.

“When is it?” I asked.

I scribbled down the details I needed to know and hung up the phone.

“Oh honey I’m so proud of you!” my mum said pulling me into a tight squeeze.