CHAPTER FORTY-ONE

Start from the beginning

You should be asleep - it's the night before the boards

Jackson
I slept with April and now I don't know what to do...

Vanessa

...

Jackson
Seriously? I need your help

Vanessa

I think this is more of a Mark thing...

---

"What is wrong with these residents? Bunch of idiots." Vanessa mumbles as she turns her phone off and climbs out of bed as quietly as she could to not wake Mark - something seemingly impossible as he stirred.

"Shit." She whispered as she quickly started to get changed to go to the hospital. Mark groaned as he reached out to her side of the bed and upon realising she wasn't there he sprung up out of bed and looked around frantically, all remnants of sleep gone.

"Over here," Vanessa whispered and he turned his head in her direction, taking in her fully clothes appearance and furrowing his eyebrows, "They uh...need me over at the hospital. I won't be long you can go back to bed." She walked over to the bed and kissed him on the head gently before going to walk out.

Her hand was grabbed and she looked back at Mark, leaning over the side of the bed in order to reach her, "You're okay, right?" He asked, remembering that she sometimes uses the hospital as an excuse so she didn't panic in front of him - he always ended up getting called to bring her home though.

"Yeah," She walked away from the door and closer to him, "I'm fine - promise." He smiled as she moved her lips down to his and when she pulled away he flopped back down onto the bed and she left the room, whispering a goodnight to him that was completely ignored as he fell asleep.

---

"Alex, I swear to God-" Vanessa stormed into the NICU where Alex was holding Morgan's baby in his arms. She lowered her voice but still stared at him intensely.

"I had to leave my husband in bed to come and kick your ass - go the hell back to San Francisco." She ordered and he looked at her tiredly before nodding his head and placing the baby back in it's box.

"Right," She smoothed out the arms on coat, "You need to go now and you should just make it but I swear if you fail this because you didn't get there in time because of your girlfriend's baby-"

"She's not my girlfriend." Alex protested and Vanessa rolled her eyes.

"Go." She motioned for him to leave and he did, running out of the doors to get a taxi to the airport. 

She sighed and checked her phone - she had text messages from almost everyone as they all panicked about their boards in the morning.

***

Jackson
I'm freaking out - I need you to talk me down

Meredith
I keep throwing up. I don't think I can do this

Cristina
I know I can do this but I need someone else to know too

Vanessa

Jackson - you're an amazing surgeon andyou're gonna do great on your boards.There's not one reason I can think offor you to not be a surgeon. As for theother thing - leave it for now, you don'tneed the distraction. Call me when you'refinished :)