Chapter 21: In All The Worlds

Music Track List:  

DARKANGLE ~ Kate Jane Garside 

***

David's POV

I got the lab cleaned up in record time. Tomorrow I would need to set up the plates...and for that I needed the sound equipment, which meant I had no choice other than speak to:

"Atticus," I said as I walked into his office and plopped onto the yellow vinyl and wooden boomerang chair, a mid-century modern relic which had seen better days. My knees were now crowded against the desk that wouldn't give any room for purchase with my back pressed into the wall as it was.

"Daaaaaviiid," Atticus sang without looking at me from his work, "My boy, I've been looking for you."

My back stiffened... Atticus always called me his boy whenever he wanted something. "Yeah, I can see that," I quipped while staring at the piles of paperwork he was buried under.

Atticus sat up and finally looked at me, drawing his two burly hands together to stretch and then cracked his knuckles. "I understand that youuuuu," he started in an accusatory tone, "have been a very busy boy."

"Well, yeah," I affirmed, "I got most the lab cleared out so now I only need—" but Atticus cut me off before I could finish.

"The Dean was by. Apparently you were a big hit at Dr. Rath's lecture," Atticus glared at me from under his reading glasses.

"Yeah....well...that guy is a dick," I stammered, feeling flustered at the remembrance. Why was the Dean by? I asked myself in a slow panic.

"The Dean was by," Atticus explained as if he had heard my question said aloud, "because she was wondering why you are suddenly hanging about the campus again.... And I told her I knew nothing of it...which means you need to be a little more discreet about your presence here."

I sighed and slumped in my seat. Why did life always have to be so complicated for me?

"And yes, Dr. Rath is very much indeed a "dick"," Atticus consoled but it didn't make me feel any better. "Strangely, he was by today as well. Was keenly interested in you and your whereabouts. Even asked me for your home address," Atticus stated and then stared at me pensively to gauge my reaction. I must have looked worried because he quickly shook his head and smiled, "Don't worry. I gave him the address of a gun shop in Santa Monica."

"Why the hell does he want to see me," I inquired and Atticus shrugged.

"Maybe he decided you would make a great sidekick for a multiverse show on the road. You Ed McMahon to his Johnny Carson routine."

I didn't think this suggestion was plausible but pushed any and all concern from my head. I had a one track mind for now. "I need the equipment delivered tomorrow. To set up the plates," I said while rising from my chair, feeling impatient to get Emma in the lab as soon as I could manage. You know...for her sake.

"One more thing," Atticus drawled with a strange look so I sat myself back down. "I hear...you were there at the lecture...with Pepper. Is there something going on between you and my daughter that I should know about?" Atticus said, scratching the whiskers under his chin.

"I thought you said she was your niece," I grimaced in surprise.

"My niece...yes of course. That is what I meant to say," Atticus responded gruffly with narrowed eyes. And I narrowed my eyes back at him. Something is off about those two, I said to myself...not the first time since being introduced to the wise-cracking voluptuous minx. "Well, is there?" Atticus coughed.