09 | Ember

Ember dragged herself out of bed at the break of dawn, her naive attempts to sleep completely unsuccessful.

Despite Foxfire having a two-week midterm break, Ember couldn't see herself doing anything fun over the vacation. All she wanted to do was hide from the public until she learned how to manage her new ability, and keep as much attention from herself as possible.

She grimaced at the thought of practicing inflicting.

She'd always been aware of the possibility that she might manifest as an inflictor, considering the fact that her mother had the power, but she'd still never really expected it. She'd hoped to be an empath—like her dad and brother—or a teleporter like her mother. Even a polyglot would've been fine.

No such luck.

She ripped back her covers and quickly changed into an violet tunic with a cream satin sash, leggings, and knee high boots.

She glanced in the mirror, not surprised to see the circles under her eyes and slumped posture. She straightened her shoulders and tried for a smile, but it looked more like a grimace.

She forced her self to look away and stumbled out of her room on shaky feet, almost tripping on the edge of her door.

As she walked down the stairs, she trailed a hand along the banister and ran the other hand through her hair, trying to detangle the knots. She'd forgotten to wash it the night before, and she was now regretting that decision.

As she trudged into the kitchen, she was surprised to see her dad and Ace seated at the dining table table, despite the early hour.

Maybe no one in their household slept anymore.

Ember's father was sipping a cup of cinacreme, still in his pajamas. Ace on the other hand, was fully dressed and chewing a strawberry pastry.

"Do you ever sleep?" Ace drawled, staring at her slumped posture and the circles lying beneath her eyes.

She ignored him and plopped into a chair beside him, letting her bare feet drag along the cold tile floor.

"Where's mom?" She asked her dad through a deep yawn.

"Still sleeping," he replied. "She had a rough night—like you apparently."

Ember stared at the plate of pastries on the table, not feeling hungry at all. "I'm used to it."

Ace stuffed another pastry into his mouth as her dad said, "You should be taking sedatives."

Ember shook her head and crossed her arms firmly across her chest. "No sedatives."

Her father just sighed and took another sip from his mug, then planted it on the clear glass table. "You are just like your mother."

Ember tipped the front legs of her chair into the air and leaned the seat back against the wall. "Is that bad?"

"No, of course not," her dad said, shooting her an amused look. "Her life just isn't . . . easy."

"I know," Ember mumbled, gently setting her chair legs back on the floor. "It can't be fun being the only brown eyed elf—"

"Ahem," Ace interrupted, gesturing dramatically at his eyes.

"Okay," Ember complied. "She used to be the only brown eyed elf."

"Having brown eyes is cool!" Ace informed her with his trademark smirk. "All the girls at school have crushes on me!"

Ember shook her head. "You are completely ridiculous."

Their father looked like he was trying to hold back his laughter, but covered it by sipping from his mug.

Ace grinned. "Yep. I'm ridiculous. And you . . . are sleep deprived."

Their dad chuckled before turning to Ember and saying, "You should go back to bed."

"It's already morning," Ember argued, pointing out a cylindrical window on the far wall, where the sun was just rising over the lush green hills.

"It's barely dawn," her dad corrected, letting out a strained breath.

"She had her chance to sleep," Ace cut in, standing from the table. "We're leaving."

Ember sighed, "Where?"

"Everglen," Ace said with a twisted smile. "Emerson and Clove's grandparents invited us to play base quest."

Ember muttered under her breath. She turned to her father. "Do I have to go, dad?"

He shot her an apologetic smile. "I think you should."

"But I've never even been to Everglen," she argued.

"Neither have I," Ace put in. "But I'm going. So you are too."

Their father rose from the table and strode over to them. "You'll have fun, Em," he said, kissing her on the top of her head, just like he used to do when she was a little girl. "Everglen is amazing."

"You've been there?" The twins asked in unison.

"Yep," their dad replied with a laugh. "You'll love Alden and Della."

Ace glanced down at Ember's bare feet. "Get your shoes. We're leaving in two minutes."

Ember shook her head. It was going to be a long day.

She unconsciously lifted her hand and tugged out an itchy eyelash, staring at the floor as the worry started to consume her from inside out.

Ace waved the air between them and stepped away from her, shaking his head.

Empaths.

Her father smirked at her.

Ember sighed. "What?"

"Just like your mother," he laughed. "Just like your mother."