13.

Yil

"WE ARE NEVER EVER DOING THAT AGAIN," Zena announced lowly, enunciating each word as she tried to repress the slight tremble in her voice.

They were not many things that scared Zena because she was fearless, however, the ordeal had been one of a kind.

It was a race against time as we tried to escape the outside wolf males. One being the beta and the other an Alpha. My mate. His cold blue eyes had stared at me in awe, it was unmistakable despite his attempts to hide it, and I had eyed his solid, tall build in admiration. He was a fine specimen, a sight for sore eyes from the rugged arch of his lips to the sturdy strength of his legs. Mine.

Ava and I had been drawn to him and I had yearned for his large palms to caress my cheek. But all this was impossible, it wasn't meant to be. I knew the Sky Lordians were a group of unpredictable, mysterious bunch of trash but even this was on another level of bitchiness.

Why was I mated to an Alpha from the outside world?

I'm not denying the fact that I might have contemplated the idea one to many times but that was purely to tick my mother off.

"Are you even listening to me?" She asked, stopping to peer back at me. We had arrived at the pack garden a few paces from the pack house and just in time for the pack guards ten minutes morning rotation.

Zena and I were not going to get any sleep as practice would start in an hour's time.

"Yes, we are never going there ever again. I heard you," I sighed, defeatedly and attempted to walk past her but she pulled me into a fierce hug.

"I'm sorry I was a little hard on you," she choked out amidst her silent tears. I tried to protest because I was the one who initiated the idea in the first place but she hugged me tighter, cutting off my words. "I was just so scared at the possibility of leaving you there with him," she continued and I detected the slight disgust in her tone when she referred to the Alpha. "Even more so when I saw that box. I'm not still sure of the extent of its power but I don't trust them," she finished as she released me from the hug and stared at me with tear stained cheeks.

"What box?" I asked silently as I cleaned her cheeks with my fingers and fought against the urge to cry.

"I'll tell you all about it later. We don't have much time now," she promised. "But I know how hard it was to leave your mate. Trust me I do and I..."

I cut her off with a slight raise of my palm. I was drained and so was Ava, who was intent on shutting me out. "I don't want to talk about him and his not my mate," I declared. "He's an outsider," I whispered and turned to walk into the pack house but Zena stopped me with another hug, this time from the back.

"I love you, you know that right?" She whispered and I nodded. Then together we ventured into the pack house before going our separate ways.

As I neared my room and with each step I took the more I realised that I was never going to see my mate again. I wasn't one to judge a book by it's cover or in this case past animosity but my pack still came first. Surely, the reason why we still concealed ourselves from the outside world even till today was still unresolved. And it would be irrational of me to be all trusting of a world I only came to see once.

I sauntered into my room and closed the door quietly. It was usually silent this time of the morning because most wolves went for pack runs before the initial training. Zena and I were lucky to have portalled into the garden and not the Wonderan Forest or we would have had quite a lot of explaining to do.

The cold draft pulled me out of my musings and I noticed that I had left the balcony door open during my earlier escape stint. I moved to close the door and I sensed a presence before I felt a warm hand wrap around my waist.