Dinner and a Song

You practically flew in and out of the store. You knew exactly what you were going to make. You were going to make a family-inherited spaghetti recipe your grandma used to make for you when you were younger. You knew almost by memory how to make it, so a recipe wouldn't be needed. You got everything you needed and rushed out the doors, struggling to hold all the bags. They were really heavy. Steven managed to save a bag as it fell out of your grasp and took some other ones out of your hands so you wouldn't have to carry everything. You walked back to his house having a pleasant conversation.

"Wait, you've got to be kidding me. You haven't spent a day on the beach in how long?" Steven asked. He chuckled, smiled goofily, and cocked an eyebrow and he looked at you. 

"I told you. The last time Ryan took me was right after we moved here. We just don't get together often. Anything can set him off, and I don't like being around him when he goes all nutso," you explained. You were laughing at first but you slowly trailed off. You shook your head to stop thinking about Ryan. All that matters right now is the conversation you are in and the dinner you have planned. 

"I'll have to take you some time then. Beach days are the BEST!" Steven exclaimed with stars in his eyes. He loved going to the beach, and going with you? That was just a happy bonus. He looked into the bags he was holding. "So, what are you making for dinner?" 

You smiled in excitement. "I'm making spaghetti! My grandma used to make it for me and I loved it!" You remembered sitting on your grandma's couch cuddled in blankets, the hot bowl in your hand as you watched your favorite movies. It was the warmest feeling you'd ever felt. You wish it could be like that all the time. You explained this to Steven. "I mean, it was so nice. Maybe making it again can bring that back? I don't know. I haven't felt like that in a while."

Steven chuckled. "(Y/n), that's love! Sure, it was a little indirect, but your grandma making that for you was showing her love for you, you know?" 

"Hm, I guess I never thought of it like that. Now that I think about it, I felt like that a lot with her. More than anyone else, that's for sure," you pondered.

"Even your parents?" Steven said this in a careful way, knowing it might be a sensitive subject. 

"I guess so. I never really knew them. They were never home, and when they were, they barely talked to us. That's why my grandma took us in, and once she passed, Ryan and I moved here. It's a good thing you had parents who taught you that stuff. Mine sure didn't," you said a little glumly.

"Actually, I only really had half of that. I never knew my mom. She gave herself to me and I have her gem. I only know my dad, and the gems are kind of like my moms. Either way, it doesn't matter anyone can love you however much they want. You just have to be open to it," Steven said, causing both of you to blush. You looked up at him, tilted your head, and flashed him a closed-eyed smile. He smiled back at you and looked back down as you reached the house. 

You walked in the door and dropped the bags on the table. "Phew," you said, wiping your forehead. "No time to waste! We gotta get started," you exclaimed as you took off Steven's jacket and tied it around your waist. "Where're the pots at?" 

"Over here, I'll grab 'em. How many do you need?" Steven asked as he bent down to open a cabinet. 

"I think 3," you guessed while taking the pasta out the bag. Steven grabbed the pans and got back up. You held the can of sauce in your hand. "Oh shoot I need a lid. I can get it. Where are they?" 

"Oh they're in that cabinet up there," he motioned to a cabinet higher up. You walked near the fridge. You got onto your tip-toes but could still barely reach. You jumped a few times, still no luck. Steven giggled behind you and smirked. Suddenly, you felt him grab your waist and you were both floating in mid-air, high enough to reach the cabinet. You blushed as you grabbed the lid from the cabinet. He brought you back down and you both stood there awkwardly. You were staring at the stove and Steven did too as he rubbed the back of his neck.