XXXV: Orchestrated Tragedy

heads up, this is a very angsty and somewhat violent chapter.

and ily guys, thanks for sticking with me despite being a slow writer. i appreciate all of you for motivating me.

~ Peyton's Point of View ~

The crematorium was filled with close family and friends on the last day. And as usual, I stayed outside and waited until someone came to fetch me.

This time it was my grandmother. "Dear, you should've been in there with us."

"I'm sorry, Gammy. I just don't feel like being around people right now."

"Well I can understand that." She took out a small pouch from her pocket and handed it to me. "I had these cremation keepsake made for us. They are diamond cut emeralds made from her ashes. Your uncles got theirs as well as your father."

I smiled and ran my thumb across the small piece of jewelry. "So she'll always be with us."

"Exactly." My grandmother planted a kiss on my forehead before going back inside to be with the rest of our family and friends.

I know it seems like I'm too distant because of my grief but that's really not the case. I'm actually ashamed of myself. Ashamed that I had this ability to revive the dead but never knew it. Ashamed that I disturbed what would have been my mother's forever peace when she died giving birth to me.

If it weren't for me, she wouldn't have suffered like she did. Murdered in cold blood by some monster who, according to the files left in my hotel room, is my husband-to-be and the future King of my Kingdom.

Everything's a complete mess right now and I'm not sure what to believe in anymore.

Last night I was thinking about writing a letter addressed to the High Council of Neverland telling them that I renounce my right to the throne and just run far away from all the insanity.

A lot of things began to make sense the more I tried to recall my childhood. The way they acted around me as a kid, being so overly protective and never allowing me to set foot outside.

It's possible that word got around and certain people took interest in me. I can bring anyone back from the grave- if that doesn't scream 'come and get me' then I don't know what does.

Maybe even some of them learned of the miracle performed by the Fairy King's newborn.

From the books I've read, it's clear to me that a number of villains have been trying to get their hands on some kind of Elixir of Life. Mother Gothel already had the Fountain of Youth locked up inside a tall tower and she lived for hundreds of years prior to that. What more if they get their hands on someone who has the ability to make them immortal?

The world will be thrown into chaos.

Maybe that's why they never revealed this truth. Especially to me.

"Hey.."

I turned around and saw my father walking up to me while scratching the back of his head nervously. "I thought you were inside?"

"I had to take care of some important matters last night." The dark circles under his eyes confirmed that along with his clothes from yesterday. "So uh, can we talk? Please?"

In the most difficult times of out lives, it's only natural to want to be near your family and mourn together. My dad should be to first person I wanna run to, someone who understands exactly how painful it is to lose Wendy.

But right now, he wasn't the man I needed him to be.

"Why did you lie to me?"

"Peyton I didn't lie to you-"