Chapter 10: INCONSPICUOUS

Hannah:

"I don't believe this! How the fuck could this have happened?"

I sat in our secret meeting place, the secluded art room, scowling. If Jack kept this up the teachers in the art staff room were going to burst in to find out what all the yelling was about...

I had long since given up on trying to get Jack to calm down. What's done is done, all that's left is to calmly and concisely make a plan to get the death note back into our possession. Not that the hot-headed jerky jerk could calm down enough to see that. Billy looked thoroughly terrified and wasn't speaking at all.

At least Ethan was being level-headed and trying to find a solution to this mess "We may not have the death note anymore, but what we do have is the thief's receipt for an aeroplane ticket. So we know where he is going to be in two days."

"I just don't know how you could have been so careless that you lost it!? What were you thinking!?"

"I didn't lose it." my voice was quiet and laced with venom. "It was stolen."

"It's not like she had left it somewhere obvious, she had it on her when it was taken." Ethan defended me chivalrously. Jack put his face in his hands and sat down, seemingly exhausted. Gallu's slow crackly voice made everyone suddenly aware of him.

He was standing in the corner of the room, partly concealed by shadow. Tall and like a statue, his yellow orb-like eyes peered at us from the darkness. His new cold resolve made him finally seem like a god of death since the first time I'd seen him "Hannah is still the owner of the notebook so I'm bound to follow her. That may not be the case for long." He did something with his mouth, was he relishing in this? His voice pierced my heart and for a moment I felt true fear "Should the thief discover the death note and realise its authenticity, he is sure to read all of the instructions. He'll know you are its owner and he's probably already seen your face. I shudder to imagine you would have all kinds of identification in that handbag that would give him your name. If it turns out he doesn't remember your face I'm sure in what he stole there would be enough for him to find out where you live."

I paled. This is rilly rilly bad. A sickening sense of understanding washed over me as I realised I could drop dead from a heart attack at any moment!

"Then we don't have time!" Ethan was on his feet.

"Wait guys," Billy began and we all turned to look at him. "Even if he did see the book, we don't know that he would have tried it. He could have just taken the money and thrown the bag away. The death note could be lost." His voice seemed to break at the end of that word.

"Finding this guy is all we have." Jack mumbled darkly. "We have to go to Brisbane Airport."

I stood up suddenly "No! What do you mean 'we'? This is my problem! The death note was lost on my turn! I'll go to the airport, but I'm going alone."

"That's far too risky!" Ethan yelled. As much as I appreciated his help, I hated it when he got all over-bearing. I'm not some helpless little girl who can't take care of herself.

"It's not your decision! Either way if all of us go it will look too suspicious. I'm the only one out of the four of us who has a license."

"Don't worry Ethan," Gallu interjected. His regular chirpy voice seemed to have returned to him. "I'll be with her. I'm really interested in meeting this thief again."

"So it's settled." I concluded. Ethan was about to open his mouth when Jack spoke.

"Fine. Like she said it happened on her watch. She has the right to deal with her own problems by herself. Makes it easier for us."