ch. 1 // Frostdew Lake High // Four's POV

...

    Dang it.

    It's 6:30AM, I overslept, the school bus has already left, and I feel too drained to even move from my bed. It's the first day of school, and I have to deal with being a friendless freak who just hangs around campus.

    Three or four years ago, I had a little accident and was diagnosed with amnesia. My parents told me I forgot all of my social relations with everyone I used to know. Sometimes, I wonder if I ever had friends...

    Alas, I shook off that thought and knew that I was too much of a loser to ever have friends. After all, I had the highest grade in my math classes and everyone only used me for their homework. Not one question was about hanging out together or anything.

    It's all okay, though. At first, I felt sorry for myself. But I know that I just have to suck this up and know that this is how I'll live for eight years.

    And besides, nobody ever wants to make friends in high school.

    I hurry and slip on my clothes and rush, hurrying to run to school with a piece of toast held in the crook of my hand.

    At last, I finally reach school grounds. A huge, tall building stands in front of me, trying to make me feel small. With four stories, it made the school feel like a threat to every other school in the city. I walk in, almost late to my first class.

    Apparently, there's a class all about learning how to adapt to high school and where all the classrooms are. I felt pretty lost, however, even with so many guides.

    I sit, eyes locked on the headmaster of the school. She explains every school rule and every turn to make to get to class on time. While I watch, a strange student gets up and sits next to me. I awkwardly look in the other direction, not knowing what to do. I can feel their stare pressing against my cheek, so I look at them and ask if I could help them in any way. I accidentally startle them, and they apologized.