Chapter 20: Fade Steps

"The Fade is shaped by intent and emotion," Solas explained as they started forward. "Remain focused and it will tell you where to go."

Some nods and grunts from the rest of the group ahead of them. They walked silently toward the giant rift in the sky, each of them privately awestruck by their personal experience. She remembered falling then opening a rift out of reflex, a desperate action on the way to death. She never expected this.

Apparently all that isn't strange enough, Ellana mused, now here we are physically inside the Fade!

Solas's words resonated around them, egging them to ponder their individual drives. His expertise on the Fade was unparalleled and she was profoundly thankful that she brought him on this particular mission, happy that he could lead where she couldn't. Not like I'd go anywhere without him. As often as she visited the Fade-- almost daily-- this was far, far different. And he was different here also.

She watched him on her left. They'd walked side by side through most of her adventures thus far, but here he was transfixed and subsequently more expressive than ever. A subtly bemused subtle smile on his lips, eyes sparkling and darting hungrily about the scenery.

"Not the area of the Fade I would have chosen, of course," he said to her after a while, "but this is fascinating." His manner made her smile despite the current events. Clarel was dead, the fighting continued, there was still a rift in Adamant's central courtyard, and the dragon lived on, likely killing Inquisition soldiers and Grey Wardens alike even now. And here she was, materially stuck in a sickened corner of the Fade.

Their journey brought them to a massive stony staircase, entry marked by two torch-adorned pillars carved as birds with green flames licking the beaks from firebowls at their breasts.

At least the stairs will get us out of this mucky fog. Not to encourage the reality of smells during my passage, but sweet Sylaising fuck this place stinks! Though she was well acquainted with her own brand of sanity-maintaining humor, an oddly foreign part of her chuckled heartily at her crass.

The atmosphere was thick like molten matter flowing around them, oblivious to gravity. Ancient memories and essences drifted like slag stirred in the wake of curious spirits. Through it all nothing surprised her as much as him. Fear-realm or not, the bare-faced elven mage was enthralled as he ascended the steps, pulling a smile from his face the likes of which she'd never seen. It was small and subtle, of course-- others might not recognize it-- but she knew it was a rare fullness of expression on his part.

They encountered battle at last, some lesser shades and wraiths. Firing flame bolts, pulling any spell from the ephemeral murk here was surreal. Spirits would be hit by her fire blast before she saw it actually reach them. Some spells were accompanied by melodies and chords that bounced off the stone walls around them. Others threatened to suck the very power from her staff and her arms into unpredictable energy. She could feel the magic coursing through her body like electricity. When a despair demon's ice blast paralyzed her and sapped her mana Solas's dispel and rejuvenation spells felt so glorious that she almost moaned aloud from pleasure.

After they'd faced their first combat his usual disposition returned, his face a mask of serene concentration. "The demon that resides in this area is very strong and very old," he said to the group. "Some variety of Fear demon, I would guess. I suggest you remain weary of its manipulations."

As the group moved on she and Solas kept some distance from the others. She'd recognized the small cue he gave her and fell into step with him.

"Da'len," he started, indicating this was going to be a lesson, and she listened reverently. "Steel yourself and your memories, shut them off from yourself while we journey. What reflections and fears you do see manifest, remember that they are perversions of the truth. What you see and hear is only real if you let it be."