Chapter 36: A Mysterious Ally

Maeva slowly became aware of her surroundings. A heavy blanket draped across her body, brushing her chin. Gentle heat from a crackling fire touched the side of her face. Several voices were talking quietly nearby.

"... coming into her powers." It sounded like Solas.

"But she's not a mage." That was Ellana's voice.

"Magical powers normally manifest at a younger age, but late development is not unheard of." Solas. "Also, you reported that the crystal message from her mother talked of power in their blood."

"Listen, just because you were all in the same dream at some point..." Varric.

"Yes. Surely her dream simply wandered into ours," said Ellana.

"No," Solas replied. "A mind without the inherent link to magic would not demonstrate such awareness of what they did and saw in the Fade."

"She needs to be tested." A new voice, Vivienne.

"No!" Ellana insisted. "Or not now, at least. She's had enough harrowing experiences to last a lifetime already."

Maeva opened her eyes. She was in Josephine's office, lying on the settee by the fireplace. The talking people were out of sight, but close.

"I agree, it is too soon for testing," said Solas. "The body and mind must both be healthy first. And, it can take months for a mage's abilities to fully express themselves."

"If she is a mage, she may already be a danger," stressed Vivienne. "Both to others and to herself."

"Oh, c'mon," said Varric, "this is Maeva we're talking about here. She's harmless. Well, unless she's throwing knives."

"There will be no testing nor assuming she is dangerous," declared Ellana. "The first priority is her health and mental wellbeing. Varric, I'm counting on you to find something-- a task or whatever-- that will occupy her and help her heal."

Varric hummed thoughtfully. "Alright. I have some ideas."

"Letting a mage out into the wild, in this early state of self-discovery... Are you certain that is wise?" Vivienne asked.

Ellana's voice rose above them, despite still being quiet. "Please, let us come to an agreement. The poor girl needs relief, and I think she will best find it on a personal journey somewhere. Away from Skyhold. Varric, I don't know her as well as you, and while what happened at the Winter Palace was horrible, I think she is distressed about more than only that."

A stilted silence followed. After some beats, scuffled footsteps sounded as they dispersed. Then the faces of Varric and Ellana appeared in her field of view, shadowed by the fireplace behind them.

"Hey, kid," said Varric. His eyes scanned her face. "You heard all that, huh." He knew the answer already. "How are you feeling?"

Next to him, Ellana knelt to Maeva's level and offered a sympathetic smile.

"Alright, I think," Maeva said. "A bit disoriented. How long have I been sleeping?"

"Just a few hours," replied Ellana. "The sun is not yet risen. Hopefully you can get more rest soon."

"I was thinking," said Varric, "you need to go to Crestwood to look for another message from Anthena. How about we do that now? Take some time away from Skyhold for a bit."

Maeva gradually sat up and looked over the back of the settee. Everyone else had vacated the room.

She swallowed nervously. "You want me to leave?"

"No, no." They both protested. "Not like that. We–"

"Do you really think I'm a mage?"

Ellana and Varric hesitated, probably the only time Maeva had seen either of them uncertain about what to say next.