Ch. 03: Christina Heads Home Tuesday Night

"A Magnificent Love", Ch. 03: Christina Heads Home Tuesday Night, December 25, 2014 Gratiana Lovelace

(an original story copyrighted by Gratiana Lovelace; All rights reserved) [(1) story logo, top right]

[From time to time, I will illustrate my story with my dream cast of: Richard Armitage for Richard Thorne, Sigourney Weaver for Richard's mother Elise Thorne, Jennifer Jason Leigh for Edith Thorne Burke, Haley Atwell for Christina Gilcrist, James Slattery for Frederick Burke, Harrison Ford for Prof. Percy Gilcrist, Franco Nero for Count Victor Renaldi, and others]

Author's Mature Content Note: "A Magnificent Love" is story with mature themes (D for drama and S for sensuality) of love and relationships. Most chapters will be PG or PG-13. However, if you are unable or unwilling to attend a movie with the ratings that I provide, then please do not read that chapter. This is my disclaimer.

Author's recap from the previous chapter: Elise Thorne's Tuesday, Dec. 23rd early 65th birthday party hosted by her daughter Edie's family was a success! And the matching diamond earring and pendant jewelry they jointly gave her was appreciatively received. However, Elise noticed her son Richard Thorne seemed to be holding something back, and eventually he revealed that a Christina Gilcrist assisted him in selecting their gift at Barnette Chicago. Elise is slightly acquainted with this branch of the Gilcrists--and their financial woes due to an inheritance that will be out of reach for Christina for five more years. Ever hopeful that her son will settle down, meet a nice girl, and get married, Elise latches onto Richard's new acquaintanceship and suggests that Richard invite Christina and her father to Christmas Eve services with supper after. But Richard is reticent to do that, though his piqued interest in Christina Gilcrist continues. Meanwhile, Christina Gilcrist heads home to her father this night.

"A Magnificent Love", Ch. 03: Christina Heads Home Tuesday Night

As I left Barnette Chicago for home this evening of Tuesday December 23rd, I received a polite nod from my supervisor--the Barnette Chicago Director, Mr. Barnard Kline. He said Christina, you did well with the Thorne purchase. Praise, indeed! And yes, the 5 % commission of $750 will come in handy at this time of year. But I am more glad to have helped Mr. Thorne find the perfect gift for his mother. And, if I were being truthful to myself, I miss my own mother and having the opportunity to buy her little gifts-- especially around the holidays. Usually, my Mom preferred practical gifts--such as hand lotion, lacy linen hankies, and restaurant gift cards. Apart from the few heirloom pieces of jewelry that she inherited from her mother, her mother-in-law (my father's mother),or received as a girl, my mother was not that enamored of receiving new jewelry--her liking traditional styles. Which was good, because Daddy never bought her jewelry that I know of beyond their wedding ring sets--flowers and chocolates yes, jewelry no. And yet, Christina believes that her parents were ecstatically happy together in their not focusing on material possessions.

So in helping Richard Thorne with his gift selection for his mother, I felt a sense of nostalgia about making a gift selection for my late mother, Meghan Meg Gilcrist. Yet, however polite the handsome Richard Thorne seemed, I am doubtful of the sincerity of Mr. Thorne's appreciation for my assistance. He seemed preoccupied by something during our exchanges. And in my experience, business entrepreneurs like Richard Thorne rarely acknowledge the contributions of those beneath them. Not that I am beneath him. And suddenly a rather startling sensual image invades my thoughts--and I blushingly push it aside.

But with my immediate family's currently austere finances, I do not participate in the same lavish social spheres as Richard Thorne. My wealthier cousin Susie's wedding was the grandest affair that I have been to all year. The wedding reception was a little stuffy--with a formal receiving line that stretched on forever--because her mother insisted upon inviting everyone, and I do mean everyone. But the wedding itself was quite lovely, I must admit--with just the right touches of romantic candle light and fir boughs adorning the ends of the church pews. And in the end, Susie married the man of her dreams. Now if only, I can find the man of my dreams to marry and build a life with.