•C h a p t e r T w e n t y•

Start from the beginning

I'd spent all of gym class avoiding physical exercise, only to have to face it going to a party.

Groaning, I began making my way up the stairs, accompanied by a couple girls other that I'd never seen before, but were obviously drunk.

I moved to the side, my back smacking against the wall when a guy I recognized from the soccer team stumbled down the stairs. My eyes widened when I realized that he had no pants or a shirt on, sporting only a very stylish pair of emoji boxers.

He looked at me, eyes glazed over from alcohol. "I may have lost my clothes — but at least I found myself," he hiccuped, pointed his index finger at me. My confused expression must've been hilarious to him because he bursted out in guffaws as he continued to stumble down the stairs.

I shook my head, as I continued to walk up the stairs.

Just when I thought I was completely winded, I made it to the top floor and opened the door to Austin's apartment. In an instant, I was assaulted with blasting rap music and the faint but putrid smell of sweat, alcohol and vomit.

It was an apartment that looked much like Aunt Claire's, except there were fancy artifacts littered around the house. Austin should put those away since someone somewhere was bound to shatter those vases.

I spotted Josie on the couch, sitting next to Ryan who was talking to some other guys. He looked composed and sober, much different from the way Josie was. I dodged a few drunk dancers as I headed to Josie.

She was in a pair of shorts so short I could just about see her underwear, and a crop top. I'd never seen her in something so revealing before, but then again, I hadn't known her very long.

"Josie!" I called over the loud music, shaking her arm. She looked up and her face brightened.

"Oh my gosh Skyler you made it!" she slurred. "Can you get me another beer?" she asked, handing me an empty can.

"Don't you think you've already had too much to drink?" I raised an eyebrow at her.

"I'm not even drunk," she laughed, slapping my arm. Okay yeah, she's so drunk. "Besides, if you get drunk with me, then we can be sober together. Ya know cause two drunk people make a sober person. It's simple math," she giggled, more to herself.

I blinked at her. Math was not her strongest suit, and even though it wasn't mine either, I knew she was wrong.

"Pleaaaaseeee get me another beer?" she whined into my ear.

I winced, moving a little away from her. "Yeah, I got you," I told her, making my way to the kitchen. I wasn't going to get her anything more since she'd already had enough, but I needed something to calm my nerves.

The kitchen looked like a typical party scene from a movie. There was a couple leaning against the wall sucking each other's faces off and another guy was fast asleep on the floor near the stove but other than that, it was empty.

It was then when a group of people entered the kitchen, all half drunk at least. I spoke too soon.

"Oh thank god," I moaned to myself, relieved that there was still an unopened bottle of vodka on the kitchen table. I unscrewed the lid and poured it down my throat, wincing at the burning sensation that emanated down my esophagus and then in my stomach. As disgusting as vodka was, it was the fastest way to forget.

I set the bottle down onto the table, a pang of guilt suddenly hitting me. Aunt Claire would not be happy with me and neither would my mom.

My mom. Oh who was I kidding, she couldn't be unhappy with me. She was dead, and she'd never have the chance to be disappointed ever again. Just from that thought, I felt tears burn the rim of my eyes, but I blinked them away.