However, before he could so much as blink, a shadow came over us all. The horses pranced across the muddy ground, mine lifting his front feet in agitation. I soothed him distractedly, looking up at the sky.

"Crebain." Tar gasped, a shiver in his voice.

I had never seen them before, but every elf and man knew their danger. They were great black birds, with a wingspan almost as tall as I, and where they were to be found, worse always followed. Seconds passed, but the sky only grew blacker. I heard the pounding of armoured feet. They would overwhelm us.

I drew my swords. All was not lost yet; the women and children had been traveling all night, I hoped, but if they could cover a just few more leagues...

They came over the horizon. One orc legion, two, three, four. We were not merely outnumbered; we would be like lambs to the slaughter. Where was Elrond? He was our only hope now.

Legolas moved to stand beside me, and we exchanged a glance that seemed to last an age. I squeezed his hand briefly, and he smiled tremulously, and then he was gone, stepping back into the small group of archers he would lead.

Aragorn turned back to his men, seemingly unconcerned by the odds. "Hope is not something we possess within ourselves. The darkness can neither sully nor destroy it. It is on this principal, on this untouchable, unstoppable hope that I ask you to draw your swords, string your bows, and defend those we love!"

He wheeled around again, and I thrust my blades high into the air in challenge to the orcs streaming towards us. "Charge!" Aragorn shouted, but his voice was drowned out by the men. Their wrath echoed in my ears, and I galloped towards the orcs, a shout ripping from my own throat. Fury at the years unlived they were taking from me carried me into their midst.

I killed two at once. Another two. Another one. Another was left with one arm, and his fellow I almost ripped in two. However, no matter how many I slew, more came upon us all. My horse backed away, closer to Aragorn's, and back to back we fought on. I could hear his panting breaths. An arrow came so close to my head I had to duck to avoid it.

Legolas burst onto the scene at just the right moment, shooting down two orcs who were determined on ending Aragorn's life. He joined our circle, shooting and shoving while we slashed and stabbed.

The others dashed in and out of my sight, desperate and furious and fighting on regardless. However, they were being driven closer to us. They were hemming us in.

We didn't have long. My stomach plummeted.

Perhaps, however, perhaps if we could just break through their ranks...

At least it would buy a little more time for the women.

In a moment of reckless valour, I dug my heels into the horse's side, causing him to rear up on his front legs, knocking three orcs down at once. "Derio!" I yelled, bending over his neck, and kicking him again. He picked up speed, ploughing through the hoards and crushing many an enemy under his hooves. I heard another yell from behind me, felt a second pounding of hooves on the ground, and knew Aragorn would be with me to the last. (S: charge!)

Their ranks seemed to be thinning, but they were only getting out of my way, crushing each other from fear.

However, something was ahead. A line of archers stood. Each arrow tip was pointed at my head. I lost concentration, and the horse tripped.

My moment of fear was dearly bought. Bowshots twanged in the air. There was an odd moment of peace as they sailed silently towards us. Aragorn shouted from behind me, but I could barely hear him over the pounding blood in my ears.