Chapter 25 - Emotional Drama

"Guys can we please just decide on a dress already! It's been two hours!" 

Madeline and Juliette ignore my complaints, rifling through the rack of dresses with renewed gusto. They'd purchased their homecoming dresses a while ago in anticipation of the big day but me being me, I put it off as long as I could.

Which is how I found myself sitting in a boutique with the two girls fussing over what colour would suit my skin tone, what style of dress would shape my figure etc. I place my chin in my hand as I watch the two run around and roll my eyes sighing for the fifth time in the last five minutes. Spending my Monday afternoon going dress shopping was a nightmare come true. I could never understand how some girls could spend forever and a day just window-shopping or constantly trying on clothes, it's tiring and quite frankly boring.

"Who are you guys going to the dance with?" I ask the two as they debate between a green and blue dress. This topic never really came up before and I was curious to find out if the girls were going with anyone.

"I'll just be going with my group of friends, none of us are particularly bothered to go with dates" Madeline says and I nod before we both turn to face Juliette. She seemed too busy staring at the intricate design on the blue dress though and as beautiful as the design was I knew she was hiding something. She had this tell tale sign of clenching and flexing her fists which was exactly what she was doing now.

"Juliette?" Madeline asks a sneaky smile on her face as she pulls the dress from Juliette's grasp.

"Spill the beans Jules" I say, my full attention on her as a smile grows on my face.

 Juliette's cheeks tint red and she avoids our eyes as she continues rifling through the dress racks before she coughs out "Joey".

I freeze in my tracks and Madeline starts gushing.

"Joey?" I ask, my eyebrows furrowed in confusion as I stare at my two best friends. "I didn't know that the two of you were close"

Juliette looks startled and a bit guilty at my question as she starts wringing her hands nervously. 

"Actually we've kind of been hanging out with each other during English and after school sometimes. You know, once you get past his slight ego and gossiping skills he's a pretty nice guy. You don't mind though right, Isabelle? It's just that I know he's your friend and everything-"

I cut Juliette off waving my hand in dismissal.

"I have no problem with you and Joey, Juliette. In fact I'm happy for you guys, you'll make a cute couple" I say with a laugh and wink at her as her blush darkens. "Of course I'm kind of annoyed that you didn't tell me that the two of you were getting close but eh, it's not a big deal" 

"Well I didn't want you to feel awkward that two of your friends were getting together" She answers defensively and I laugh.

"Why would I? You didn't freak out over the fact that your cousin and I are dating" With that I pluck the blue dress from Madeline's hands claiming it to be 'the one' so that I could pay for it and end this dreadful shopping trip.

An hour later, after spending some time in the food-court hearing Juliette gush over Joey's eyes and chivalrous behaviour, I find myself driving home in Ethan's car that I had 'borrowed' for the afternoon.

No doubt my brother would be pissed at having to walk home lugging his football gear with him, unless he caught a ride with one of his jock buddies that is. Whistling to myself I park the car before reaching into the back to collect all of my bags. The minute I'm out of the car I can hear the shouts coming from inside, the door connecting the garage to the house left wide open.