v. mr perfect & frost

Start from the beginning

     "Avery is going to be at the quidditch trials!" Charlie exclaims, his mouth gaping open as the realisation dawned on him.

     "Took you long enough," Tonks rolls her eyes. Blatantly condescending as Tonks was being, her derisiveness didn't seem to affect Charlie, though, for he was beaming massively with this new revelation. "No wonder all the teachers prefer me to you guys. You two have next to no brains."

     "Excuse you!" Charlie scolds. "I'm the Head Boy! The teachers prefer me the most!"

     Tonks scoffs, a grin wobbling on her lips, "Yeah, and you can't even figure out the right moment to talk to a girl. You wish you were smooth, Charles."

Charlie grunts. Before he can retort, Roy cuts in, clapping his hands together conclusively.

"With that being said," He begins. "Tonks's advice is somewhat useful. Part one of Mission Make-Avery-Carmichael-Less-Frosty was a success." Roy grins, rubbing his hands together. "Now, onto part two."

———

TO AVERY, THE TYPE OF WEATHER BEING DISPLAYED is good enough marker of the type of day she feels she would have. Per se, typically, should the clouds be pissing down with rain, she'd automatically wake up feeling like she's been ground like a salt grinder, and would have to rely on the day ahead to hopefully have something encouraging in stock for her. On days like today however, where not a single wispy cloud is visible in the stark epitome of blue skies and the emerald tinted grass stands up on their ends, with the feeling being course yet reassuring beneath bare skin, Avery feels as grateful and elated as a house elf would when pleasing their master.

Today was no exception. As the story foretold, the sun was out, the clouds took a holiday, and the grass was here to play; and Avery felt great upon waking up. It was a Saturday, and she remembered she had to do some more prepping for the Halloween Ball, along with ensuring she's present at the Ravenclaw quidditch trials (Rowan would simply throttle her if she failed to show up) and lastly, to complete her homework. She did not want Kettleburn to think Avery not handing in her essays on time was going to become habitual, and even worse, having Charlie Weasley save her in front of an entire class again.

Ah, there it was. Charlie Weasley. To Avery, this boy truly was something else. He was one of the kindest, most patient and exuberant people she's ever met; yet last night she saw him snap in front of her, and she knew it was entirely her fault. She knew she had taken it a step too far — she was being selfish, rude, and completely unaccepting of his feelings. But here's the thing. He still remained patient with her — he still gave her another chance, when she'd been reluctant to give him one in the first place. And that perplexes her.

Truthfully, Avery begin to dislike herself for treating Charlie like she did. She had no right to do so, even if she was going through her own things. Charlie was being kind, and respectful, and she should have been too. But she tells herself that maybe, there's still time to make amends. She needs to give Charlie the chance she should've already given him.

And she needs to take the leap.

It's most definitely time to take the leap. She's come to the end of her cliff; baby steps won't work any longer, and she'll have to make the jump to take her on. Where exactly, she didn't know, but that leap would help her progress. And Avery only hoped that this progression — becoming Charlie's friend — would benefit her. Charlie had hope, and lots of it; she should take a leaf from his book now. She shouldn't demonise change so much — along with giving Charlie a chance, she knows she should also give change a chance.