Chapter Twenty-Five

Start from the beginning

"We...I...um...How do you know about that?" He coughed out, placing his drink back against the bar.

Liam just shrugged next to him, sipping at his own drink. "Ivy told me," he said easily, giving Ethan some time to process it.

Ethan's eyes widen. He couldn't understand how Liam could be so calm. This was one of the men that had tried to bribe him to leave Ivy alone. And yet he just casually sat next to him, probably thinking he'd cheated on one of his best friends.

"And you haven't killed me yet?" Ethan asked, genuine curiosity in his voice.

Liam chuckled with a little more humour before looking Ethan up and down.

"No, I couldn't kill a person who loves Ivy almost as much as I do." He nonchalantly raised his glass, a ghost of a smile on his face at the look of panic on Ethan's face.

"L-love?" Ethan's voice shook as his mind tried to wrap itself around the word, but failed.

"Come on, Ethan. You can lie to yourself, but I was at your engagement party. I was the one that watched you have dinner with Ivy. And I've been the one watching you trying to drown your sorrows all night just because the girl you love won't talk to you." The ghost of a smile on Liam's face became the proper thing as Ethan fell apart in front of him.

It felt like Ethan's head was cracking apart at the knowing look on Liam's face. Was it possible? Did he really love Ivy?

Rather than running from the unknown feelings weighing him down, he let them go. The ache in his chest seemed to burst and embarrassingly he felt tears spring to his eyes.

He felt silly for not knowing what his emotions were trying to tell him, but how could he have ever known? He'd never been in love before and yet Ivy Thorn had weaved her way straight into his heart without him even being aware of it.

"Finally figured it out, huh?" Liam raised his eyebrow at Ethan and patted his back in consolation. "Yeah love can make you feel like shit sometimes but trust me you don't want to let it go." He nodded at Ethan's watery eyes in empathy.

Ethan drew in a few ragged breaths. He turned his attention from Liam's understanding face to watch Kia and George pick another song. His universe felt turned it on its head. And he knew the exact woman to blame.

"You and your brother deal with your emotions the same way. He will have a hell of a hangover in the morning."

Ethan turned to watch Liam staring at the two karaoke idiots.

His brow crunched in confusion before he realised what Liam had meant. He turned his head back to look at his brother, noticing the bags under his eyes and his rumbled clothes that had nothing to do with drink.

"He's in love?" Now he felt really stupid. He hadn't even realised his brother was seeing anyone. "Wait, how the hell do you know that?" He rounded on an amused Liam.

Ethan's annoyance spiked when he just smirked at him.

"Same way I knew you'd argued with Ivy. I'm a sympathetic listener, Ethan. It's why Ivy and Paige both come to me when they need to vent. Ivy is like my little sister, without her I wouldn't be the man I am today and Paige is one of the few people I class as a friend. I protect the people I love just a friendly reminder to you and your brother." Liam said it with a smile but his eyes were hard. The threat in his words was very much real.

But Ethan couldn't focus on that, he was too consumed with the thoughts of his brother falling in love. And not just with anyone. No, he'd fallen for Ivy's friend Paige.

"When the hell did this happen?" He wondered out loud before downing the rest of his whiskey and ordering another one for him and Liam.

"That's for him to say, not me."