Chapter 1

The story concentrates on Kageyama's point of view

_________

For five  years — I've held on to something that I'm not even sure of if there's something to hold on to in th  first place.

A bet–, no, a game, one Hinata made-up with strictly one rule, started exactly five years from now. To me, it came as stupid and shallow. It serves no apparent purpose, no clear reason, and honestly — seems so pointless. Yet I'm here still keeping my word half a decade later.

My nature is to reject any idea from him, even if it sounds like a bright one. The game was no exception. However, he went to lengths just to convince me to say yes, how eager he was...

The sound of the soda can reaching the pit of the vending machine reverberated. I took a quick sip, feeling the fizz run down my throat.

"Kageyama!," A voice calls from the back. Hoshiumi approaches me in mock horror as he gets a glimpse of the soda. "What happened to healthy diet? Didn't the coach enforced a strict meal plan? So why the soda?"

"Mind your own snack choices." I retorted, my back facing him.

"Sure, looking forward for you to get reprimanded!" Hoshiumi spats, grabbing a Pocari sweat. "Be back in five, or else I'll tell coach all about your soda diet." He says, flashing me his middle finger as he left.

He and Hinata have great similarities, only Hoshiumi is more edgy and less goofy. Spending time with him is nothing like the time I spent with Hinata, though him being around helps me to cope with this weird void.

I sometimes get too carried away with Hoshiumi's energy, that I feel so drawn in him. I felt as guilty, as he sees me for who I am, meanwhile I...saw Hinata in him. I won't be able to forgive myself.

I quickly returned to the court and saw that the team is gathered in a circle. "I have an urgent meeting to attend to. If all things go well, I can register us in the Summer League, and possibly in international training camps," He says, hands in his hips. "Team Captain, you're in charge with the tasks I have for the team today."

As they were discussing, my mind was zoning out of reality. I was recruited by Schweiden Adlers before I could graduate. They secured me as their setter, one who's always part of the first six players.

I also work with Ushijima and Hoshiumi, two really powerful wing spikers. I work well with both of them, especially Hoshiumi — but nothing like my in-game chemistry with Hinata.

In paper, we would definitely look like a powerhouse. I used to think as much, well that was until our head to head practice match with MSBY Black Jackals.

Last summer, we had a lot of deuces that both coaches called it even, and were planned to reschedule the match a year later – which is supposed to be around this time of the year.

MSBY has Bokuto, Atsumu, and Sakusa. Players who is as crazy and powerful as us. They are one of the teams that could take us up to par.

"Say, Ushijima, there are rumors that MSBY recently recruited a new swing spiker," Hoshiumi says while he stretches his arms forward. "Rumors say that they will debut the  wing spiker this upcoming summer league."

"I heard it from Tendou," He replies, spiking the ball to the floor in full determination. "Seems like they realized three powerhouse players won't be enough to take us down."

"This new spiker seems promising, though! They say he's been training in Brazil for a long time." Ushijima sighed, sparing Hoshiumi a glance. "Only if it's Oikawa then it would've been so promising.If so, then why didn't he come to Schweiden Adlers instead."