Chapter 14

Natasha blinked her eyes open. Sunlight poured through a window, blinding her. Birds were outside, chirping. It sounded so peaceful.

Wait, what? The sun was up? She was supposed to be awake already, training! At least it wasn't her turn to make breakfast today. Pepper had that duty. Natasha tried to sit up in her bed, but she couldn't, because of a heavy weight on her chest. 

"Steve?" She asked, a little too loud. She didn't want to wake him. He looked so peaceful, with his ruffled blond hair and messy clothes. Natasha gently pushed his arm off her body and stood up to get changed. Walking to her closet, she chose a simple outfit for the day. A black tank top, green-grayish military jacket over it, a pair of jeans, and a pair of black high tops. With purple laces. Because who doesn't like purple?

She really didn't want to wake Steve, after he was watching her throughout the night, making sure she didn't get another nightmare, but when she checked the time, she knew she had to. It was 10:22, way too late for them to get up.

"Steve," she whispered softly. When he didn't move, Natasha shook his arm a little, saying his name a little louder. He stirred, indicating he was waking up slowly. "Don't make me get an ice bucket." 

This woke him up immediately, and Steve shot up in Natasha's bed, confused. "I dreamed I was sleeping, and someone was threatening to dump ice water on me if I didn't wake up. And then I woke up before the ice bucket."

"Oh yeah," Natasha said, scratching her head. "That may or may not have been me, Rogers." 

Steve gave her a questioning glance. "Seriously?"

"It's almost 10:30!" Natasha said defensively. "How would you explain to Fury that you woke up late?"

"I'd blame it on Tony."

Natasha glared at him, but in a teasing way, like a sister to her older, annoying brother. "Get up, Rogers."

"Fine."

"I'll meet you in the kitchen, I guess. Pepper's cooking, so breakfast won't be terrible!" Natasha yelled over her shoulder as she left the room.t

After breakfast, which was eggs and bacon, the whole team gathered in the living room. A few minutes later, the elevator door opened, and Director Fury stepped out, in his usual black attire.

"Hello," he said curtly to the Avengers. "I have good news."

"What, that Steve finally learned to flirt?" Tony asked.

"Thor learned that pop tarts are not good for you and should not be eaten every day?" Clint asked.

"This "Jane" girl's coming over?" Natasha asked hopefully, fully aware that beside her, Thor was turning a majestic shade of red.

"Guys, idk maybe, Thor, listen to Clint, he's right, and I have no idea, ask him! Anyway," Fury stated, "Now that no one is bombarding me with questions- what, Tony?"

"Can you tell Pepper to stop texting me annoying things like stop bothering your team?"

Fury gave Tony a long look down the side of his nose. "No. Let me finish a sentence, will you? Anyway, seeing that Natasha is doing well, and ready to go on a mission,"

The team inched forward, eager to take on whatever task Director Fury had planned for them.

"Your new mission for all of you is to go on a trip for a week. No excuses, when you come back, I want you all to be a better you. Got it?"

The Avengers all nodded, confused, but excited for what was to come.

"Oh, and guys?" Fury said over his shoulder. "Feel free to bring anyone you want to bring. It's your vacation. Do whatever you want."

The team stared in shock as the elevator door closed with a ding. That was so unlike Fury, and part of Natasha wanted him to give her a regular mission, while the other half wanted to relax and spend time with her family on vacation. The latter won.

"Alright, alright!" Tony cried out. "Where are we going?"

A chorus of exotic locations rang out, filling the room with noise.

"Guys, stop yelling!" Tony yelled. "Ok fine, I guess that wasn't the best choice. Anyway, we'll go one at a time. Clint, would you like to start?"

"Ok, first off, this feels like kindergarten, and second, I say we go to the beach." Clint said, crossing his arms."

Tony nodded. "Ok, ok, so now we know that Clint likes beaches. Who's next?"

"We should go to Puerto Rico," Natasha replied. When the rest of the team turned to stare at her, she added, "It's got beaches, and most people there are tourists anyway, so we won't be weird. Also, the people there are extremely friendly. You won't believe how many people will give you a free drink if you give them a $5 bill."

"Ok, I like the sound of this. Anyone else?" Tony asked, his mind set on Puerto Rico, and cheap drinks.

Thor, Bruce, and Steve all shook their heads simultaneously. 

"Cool, I'll go get us flights and a hotel."

Tony left to book the flights and hotel rooms, and the rest of the team started talking to each other.

"So, who are you guys going to bring?" Natasha asked, out of curiosity. 

"Probably Jane," Thor replied, still a little embarrassed about the whole girlfriend situation. "She's coming for lunch. I'll ask her then."

"Clint?"

"Oh, yeah. I'll probably bring Laura and the kids."

"And Tony will bring Pepper and the rest of us have no one to invite so that should be..." Natasha ticks off each person on her fingers. "12 people."

"Really?" Bruce asks. "Woah, wait a sec. Tony, Pepper, Laura, Clint, Nate, Lila, Cooper, Thor, his girlfriend-"

"Her name is Jane, Bruce," Thor said, sounding a bit annoyed.

"Ok, Jane, Me, Nat, Steve, wait no that's it. Twelve people." Bruce stated. "Jesus, that's 6 more than usual."

Just then, Tony walked back into the living, room. "Good news, guys. Our flight is tomorrow at 11:36. Start packing, guys."

The team looked at each other. "So, I'm guessing that we'll need a week's worth of clothes and enough sunscreen to cover an elephant?" Clint asked. 

The team laughed as they left the room to go pack their things. Jane was coming over to meet the team, and they were going on a trip to Puerto Rico. Could things get better?

Sorry bout the lack of Romanogers drama. I promise the beach trip will be interesting.