Chapter Eight

Once you and Watanabe got home after you spent a few minutes trying to get a taxi, your brother excitedly greeted you near the entrance which was overall something you had no qualms about though you did find it rather strange. Akagi loved sleeping like it was his lifeline and would usually be taking a nap before dinner so seeing him awake was rather strange though you simply classified it as a miracle, or maybe a change in heart.

"Welcome back, onee-chan!"

He said in a cheerful voice as he smiled widely, arms wrapped around your torso. Though you were only a year apart, he was always more childish than you though you found it as a charming factor. He had rather cat-like eyes that made him even more cuter in your opinion.

"Ohh, neko-chan! It's surprising to see that you're actually awake!"

You replied, grinning at him as he removed his arms around you. Watanabe had already excused herself silently, heading to the general direction of the kitchen to perhaps help out with making dinner. As you closed the door behind you, Akagi stuck out his tongue childishly at you with an annoyed expression on his face though you assumed this was all for show since his "irritated" face was gone very quickly.

"I can stay awake if I want to, y'know"

He said but you only grinned at him, ruffling his hair before you quickly ran upstairs to place your recently bought snacks so that your father couldn't steal them. Your brother often visited your room for whatever reason he could conjure up in his mind and you usually didn't mind his presence and he'd take one or two of your snacks without asking permission though he didn't bother to hide it.

After placing the bag of snacks and the canned tunas haphazardly on your bed, you hurried downstairs for dinner. In Japan, dinner was easily the most important meal of the day for the majority of the population in contrast to the western belief that breakfast was the most relevant meal of the day. Dinner was always a feast you'd gladly indulge in and there was question why— your mother was a hella good cook! You had received some training from her on the weekends, holidays, or whenever she had the free time but you were never nearly as good as her!

As you got near the kitchen, the scent of Sukiyaki slowly filled your nostrils and you almost began to float at the heavenly smell. Beef, green onion, mushroom, tofu, and tofu— you could smell them so distinctly that you stumbled in-between your journey to the origin of your excitement.

Though, when you arrived at the kitchen, your mother was nowhere to be found. Akagi was sitting at the table while eating some chocolates you identified was from his own candy stash, Watanabe was helping out Terushima with the dinner but the presence of your mother nor your father was nowhere to be found. Frowning, you decided to ask Akagi.

"Neko-chan, where's mama and papa?"

Your question didn't really seem to surprise him as he turned to you, abandoning his chocolates for a short while before he calmly responded with a small shrug.

"They went out."

The reply he gave was too vague for you to actually decipher where they headed to but you didn't bother to dig too deep into it, they'd be back soon enough. Nodding your head, you headed to go sit down next to him and in response, he gave you some of his chocolates, knowing you'd ask him for some. Saying your thanks with a sheepish grin, you accepted the chocolate before you bit into it.

"Onee-chan?"

"What is it, neko-chan?"

You asked him, grabbing another piece of chocolate and putting it into your mouth, interested in what your brother had to say. He normally didn't ask to speak so this was unfamiliar territory.