Chapter Twenty-Seven

A/n: got any questions regarding the series or the author? I'll be making an announcement soon and will just do a Q&A session to clear any confusions or expectations that aren't going to be met.

Nishisuma Elementary School supported a variety of sports and fortunately for the avid fans of volleyball, they also had a club entirely dedicated to it. As usual, they only accepted children who were in or over third grade and now that you were in your fourth, there was no need for any overcomplicated thinking or desperate attempts to convince the coach and principal to let you in and play, even if you weren't in the third grade.

You had seen their hand-made poster in a bulletin board in the hallways while you were walking with Kita towards the art room for the next class. You had ceased moving forward at that point, reading the things written at the poster and keeping in mind what time tryouts would be playing out so you could participate. There really wasn't a doubt in you that Akagi would be joining if he saw the poster as well but you'd tell him of it later just in case, and maybe the two of you could have a bet. The two of you were fiercely competitive and it would make things more entertaining.

"Are you planning on joining?"

A familiar voice asked beside you and as you glanced, you were met with the expected sight of your friend with one of his brows raised in question and curiosity. He was reading it as well, smiling slightly as he eyed the colorful poster before he turned back to you so his query could be responded to. You feigned thought as you glanced at the ceiling, tapping your chin as if your decision was still wavering but as you turned so that you were mostly facing him, you gave an excited nod.

"Yeah! I used to play back in Miyagi with my friends!"

You explained, bringing up what you did during your time in Sendai and how much fun you had while doing it. At first, you had just played and practiced volleyball for the sake of the boys in Haikyuu because you found no other way to get close to either of them but now that you had spent more than a year or two playing the sport, you could understand why the boys you admired so much were so dedicated towards it. It was fun, it was exhilarating, it made the years of training worth it.

As you caught yourself rambling all about your experience, you were glad to see that the brown-eyed boy next to you didn't look bored, he actually looked genuinely interested in whatever left your lips though you were stumbling over your words. It was endearing, to say the least. To find someone who didn't just regard your hobbies and interests with a shrug and half-lidded eyes because they weren't into it.

"How about you, Kita? Are you planning on joining any clubs this year?"

As you asked this, immediately a soft and warm smile reached him as he replied to your question. You weren't certain when the future Inarizaki captain had began to play volleyball but you doubted it was around elementary school, most began in their middle school. You really wished Furudate-sensei covered these parts of the story more so you wouldn't be left guessing all the time. Inarizaki was one of the teams that didn't really receive much attention excluding the Miya brothers which was quite dissapointing but you never used to dwell on it too much.

"It's not as cool as yours but I'll be joining the gardening club again this year."

You could honestly imagine it clearly and it made your heart warm as you pictured Kita in his element, donning a peach apron while watering the plants and adjusting their position so they could bathe under the rays of the sun. Afterwards, he'd sit down on a stool and read a book he found during his weekend trip at the bookstore at the shopping center, occasionally commenting about things to his plants, silent chortles leaving him at some moments.

"Were you part of the gardening club last year as well?"

He nodded eagerly, starting to walk again so the two of you wouldn't be late to class and you followed his lead, though your conversation still went on. Kita seemed so content when he was talking about plants that the time-skip version of him being a farmer truly made sense now. You couldn't think of any other career that would have suited him any better than being a farmer did.