Author's Note #2

Hello everyone. It's that time again. It seems like only yesterday that I started this story, yet it also feels like it was an eternity ago. I have a lot of thoughts and feelings here, so I'm going to try my best to get through them all.

First of all, thank you oh so much for your support throughout the process of writing this story. I have said it time and time again, without my readers, I am nothing. You all have stuck by me through the good times and the bad times, and I am forever grateful for that. I know I am not always the most consistent writer. Sometimes I write a lot in short periods of time; sometimes it took months for an update. For that, I do apologize. Towards the end I feel like I got better with it. Sometimes it is quite difficult to balance my real life with my writing, not going to lie. Being a mother is draining itself even on the best days. Coupling work in with it, sometimes I wonder how I'm standing. Some days I get absolutely nothing written for whatever reason, just as there are days I can write a chapter in one sitting with no issues.

It was your support that drove me to finishing this story. Truly I believe I'd probably still be writing it if a couple of you didn't seriously motivate me. (Looking at you, @joycethebooklover and @Hufflegirl2020! And probably several others too!) I always looked forward to reading the comments you all left me.

I had based this story off an old one I wrote way back in 2010. Dear lord was that story an absolute mess. I didn't change much from the original plot. Some names, mostly, and some minor events and details. All in all, this is a much better version, and I am proud of that. Comparing the two, I can definitely see the growth I've made in the past 10 years as a writer. That alone means a lot to me.

That being said, I know so many of you have expressed interest in a 3rd book in this series. I, of course, would love that. I love Artemis, Diana, and all the others, and I don't think I'm quite ready to say goodbye to them yet. However, I need to figure out what that all entails. Honestly, if I can't figure anything major out, I may just write some oneshots or something if I want to write them more. I don't know. Again, if any of you have ideas, I would be more than open to hearing them! I've always been kind of the "Anything for Artemis!" mindset, so if it gives me an excuse to write him... But until I have some time to sit and think more about it, this is the end.

I'm also happy that I was able to finish this story before the movie came out. I have a lot of thoughts on the movie. But because it's brand new and has only been out in some countries for a few days, I'm going to try to keep this as spoiler free as possible.

I know a lot of people (and critics) absolutely hate the movie. I totally understand why. It was far from a perfect adaptation of the book. A lot was changed. A lot of it was heavily Disneyfied (which is what I had feared would happen). I'm probably going to get massacred for this (since I've seen a vast majority of the fandom's opinion), BUT... I didn't actually completely hate the movie.

Is it my favorite movie? No. (In all fairness, it was going to have a very hard time taking that spot.)

Am I going to watch it again? Hard to say.

This series has been my life for... damn, almost 20 years now. (Wow am I getting old.) I have envisioned everything so perfectly in my head for so long I knew any movie wouldn't even come close to the world that I pictured. I would've loved a carbon copy of the book, but even then I wonder if I would've been completely happy with it, you know? I'm old enough now that I've changed my picture perfect Artemis actor several times now. That alone is confusing enough.

Anyway, I understand why people are mad. Truly I do. I only hope that this pushes more people towards the books. I have always said "The book was better." I have yet to find a movie adaptation of a book that was actually better than the book. And I will continue to preach that here.

I think 2020 has just been such a horrible year that my brain really just needed something- ANYTHING- to be happy about. I guess this was it. I'm happy we got a movie; I only wish it was executed better so that more would enjoy it.

But, I digress... You all can watch the movie (or not) and form your own opinions. I certainly won't judge you for them. Hate it, love it, somewhere in between... all opinions are welcome here! I see both sides of the debate. If you have seen it and want to chat about it, feel free to DM me. I just don't want to spoil anything for those who want to watch it and haven't had a chance to yet.

Enough about the movie though. Back to my original intent with this note...

I appreciate every single one of you. I appreciate your reads, votes, comments... all of it. Opening up the app and seeing all your feedback after I post a new chapter always puts a smile on my face. I thank you all for sticking with me on this journey. It's been a wild ride. I only hope that if I choose to do a third book, you all stick around.

I also want to thank Eoin Colfer. Without him, this story wouldn't be possible. This man has been my inspiration since day one, way back when I was 12 years old. His writing has helped me through the worst times of my life. Even to this day, he is still my go-to author. Artemis has become so interwoven with my life I don't remember a time without him. So many good memories and friendships I can attribute to this series. Colfer once tweeted me back on Twitter some years ago, and I have not forgotten his words to me. One day I hope to properly thank him. I can only hope I have done his characters and their world justice. They all mean so much to me.

Anyway, I think I've rambled enough for now. It's late, and I have a chapter to write a bit in before bed. Again, thanks for all your support. I love you all. Hope to hear from you all soon. <3

~arty_writes