Chapter 19: So Cliche

Hi everyone! I got this done super quick, so here you go! I have 2 or 3 chapters left in this story after this one, so it will all be over soon. I still hope to have it done before the movie releases to Disney+ and that seems like it should definitely still happen! Hope you all enjoy!
**************************************************

"This is so clichéd it makes me want to throw up," Alex chimed into the silence that had befallen the group. The laser hummed menacingly before them, the power gage rising more and more as it prepared to incinerate them.

Diana tried to find a little bit of humor in the situation before their lives ended. "All we're missing is the distracting monologue."

Diana's comment gave Artemis a brilliant idea. "I think we deserve to know why you're doing this, considering that there's no way to get out of it," he suggested.

Ortherion turned with an evil look that sent chills up their spines. "Why? You humans are selfish and ungrateful! All you do is take, take, take from mother earth and never give anything back!"

    He continued this rant for several minutes and Diana felt as though her brain was surely going to fall out of her ear. She blew a stray lock of hair from her eyes and began maneuvering the small, hidden object that was stashed in the back of her pants. She grabbed the small pen like object and positioned it so that the tip faced her plastic cuffs. Diana quickly braced herself for a scalding pain and the terrible smell of burning plastic and pressed a small button on the side of the pen.

The pen activated, creating a tiny pin-sized laser that began to cut through the cuffs silently. The smell of burning plastic began to swirl up to her nose as she moved the pen across the plastic surface. Heat traveled through the plastic cuffs, burning Diana's wrists. She fought against the pain and soon the cuffs were cut loose.

Artemis was in the process of insulting the sprite's plan and fortunately, Ortherion was completely oblivious to the burning plastic smell. Diana brought her hands in front of her slowly, and aimed her tiny laser pointer at an exposed wire that looked important enough and cut right through it easily. The large laser aimed at her and her friends went into a sputtering fit and then shut down. The six of them all breathed a sigh of relief as the major threat on their lives had ended.

"Ah! What in the name of Mother Earth?" Ortherion turned around and screamed in frustration. His green skin had taken on a reddish hue as a small vein popped out of his neck and forehead. He turned his attention to the laser, trying to figure out exactly what had gone wrong with his perfect plan.

Diana quickly turned and used the laser pointer on Artemis' cuffs. Once her boyfriend was free, Diana freed Alex quickly before she handed the laser pointed to Alex so she could free Sebastian. Holly and Trouble had already managed to slice through their bindings with special attachments in their LEP issue gloves.

Ortherion fumbled around with the laser for a moment longer and the group was thankful that their weapons had been put on a table right behind them. Sebastian and Holly easily choked out the two goblins that were guarding the equipment. Ortherion turned around to find a number of Neutrino barrels pointed right at him.

"You can't kill me," Ortherion asserted, a devious smile on his face. "It's against LEP regulations, and those guns are set to stun. Not to mention the final phase of human extinction has already begun and I'm the only one who knows how to reverse it."

"Maybe those guns can't kill you," Alex sassed, and then cocked her very human gun, aiming right between Otherion's eyes, "but this one can and I'm just dying to use it."

"Plus, if you think you're smarter than Artemis, you're very wrong," Diana assured. "He'd figure out your doomsday machine here without any issue."