Chapter 11: Julian Atlas

Dropping Gem off is getting easier, I think the women have finally noticed that I am not available, not that I ever have been since I met Mari. Kissing her was more intoxicating than any alcohol or drug that I've ever consumed and twice as addictive.

Watching her interact with the world around her, with her child and the people she sees is incredible. It relieves the stress in me. I've always been wound up tight with no room to grow and seeing her with such light even after her ordeal gives me hope for my future. One that I want to share with her and Gem.

As usual, I lean against the counter and watch as Gem hurries into her classroom while Mari talks with the receptionist who has finally started to like Mari. "Can I add a third emergency contact please?" I look over my shoulder at her softly biting her lip, worrying slightly. "So, I want to be the first, Peyton is the second so can we make Hunter the third please?"

"Of course, if he could write his name and sign on the dotted line, make sure to leave the number of the phone you have on you at all times." I take the pen with outstanding calm. This feels right, a step closer to making that gorgeous little girl mine. Hopefully one day I'll be signing adoption papers.

"Sorry for springing that on you, I just-" She starts as we head out to her car. I cut her off by swooping down and gently laying my lips on hers, she reacts instantly and brings herself closer. The kiss is short and incredibly sweet, "What was that for?" She whispers, her body still pressed against mine.

"I just wanted to. I'm happy for be her emergency contact. You know I love her." She looks surprised at my admission, I guess waiting for me to laugh and say I'm joking but I just tap her nose and pull away. "You don't wanna be late for school, sweetheart." I open the door for her and kiss her forehead as she steps forward to get in the car. "I'll see you at half two."

-------

So, the meeting with the Captain did not go as well as I'd hoped. He's having a hard time breaking in the rookies, apparently, they're adamant on maintaining their moral compass. They were all whispering about how it must be a test, that no police officer - especially a Captain - would associate themselves with 'low lives' like us.

I guess they don't know what we've accomplished over the years.

We toppled the Russians' grip on the area, destroyed a corrupt organisation literally formed from the police force, solved a turf war and brought down crime rate so they can fuck off.

Judgemental pricks.

Currently I'm on my bike heading back to Gem's school, I'm cutting it a bit close I'll admit. I pull in as soon as I can and almost cheer when my watch says two thirty exactly. I'm getting good at this shit.

"Hunter!" A little body ploughs into my legs just as I turn around and I quickly swing my little Gem into my arms. Smiling as she grins happily at me.

"Hello princess, how was school?"

"I dwew a dinoswar." I kiss her cheek a few times and ask her to show me when we get back to the house, that just makes her squeal and shake me in her excitement.

"What else did you do?"

"I play a game of tag and I won."

"That's great, little one. I'm proud of you." I kiss her cheek again and step forward to drag Mari into my embrace with my left arm while balancing Gem on my right hip. I kiss Mari's head softly and she turns slightly to look up at her daughter with a smile.

"Are you ready to go to the zoo?" Mari asks Gem, squeezing my waist slightly.

"Yes!" Her scream brings the attention of everyone in the vicinity and Mari apologises while I laugh. She's just excited. I strap her into her car seat and head back to my bike, flanking the car all the way to the zoo. I'm paranoid, sue me.

I pay, obviously. Granted, Mari and I did have a quarrel over it. I now have her purse in my pocket and she is not happy about it. I poke my tongue at her and laugh when she punches me in the shoulder, "Damn, woman, that hurt. Who taught you to punch like that?"

"Are you kidding me? My best friend is Peyton." I am an idiot. She laughs at my embarrassment and we follow Gem's little legs to the meerkats, she said that they'd talked about them in class the other day and she thought they were cute.

She stands so close to the glass that she fogs it up with her breath, her palms flat on the glass as she watches the creepy little things run about. It looks like a weasel. Still, I crouch down next to her and she leans on me. "What do you think princess?"

"Pwetty." She nuzzles her nose on mine before turning back to the glass, she's completely entranced by the little creatures and I look up at Mari. She's gorgeous, you know. With a light blue dress that hugs her curves perfectly and the heels just elongate her legs, her hair is down for once and it frames her face.

My heart just hurts.

I know my eyes are telling her everything because she blushes, shuffles her feet and pushes some hair behind her ears. She's adorable.

"You ready to go see another animal, Gem?" Mari asks, reaching out a hand which Gem takes quickly. Letting her mother pull her away from the glass before she forces us into the next room with the 'big kitties'.

"I have one?" Gem asks almost immediately after seeing the massive fucking tiger climbing the wall. Oh yeah, let's just housetrain one of those. I'm sure they'd love it.

"No, darlin', they need to be with their friends." I tell her and she agrees with me, saying she wouldn't want the tiger she took home with her to be lonely. I doubt she would've liked it if I just told her that her 'pet' would straight up eat her so I went with a softer way that doesn't really make much sense. As long as the toddler understands, it's fine.

Mari looks incredibly amused as she looks over all of the displays and her eyes linger on the panther to the left. She has the same fighting spirit as Saviour, she just expresses it differently and I love that about her.

Did I just say love?