5-Not Worth Her Time

Tony and Anna met when they were both in college. One of her good friends had dragged her to a party that she didn't want to go to. After much debate, they arrived at the biggest party of the semester.

When she got there, she tried to find a calmer area where she wouldn't feel so overwhelmed. She walked into the backyard and saw Tony, sitting on the grass and drinking a beer. She walked over and took her shoes off, sitting barefoot on the ground next to him. He smiled at her, taking in the person in front of him.

   "Hey," he said, and she was intrigued. The first thing she truly noticed about him was his voice.

   "Hey," she replied back. They talked for a while, before exchanging phone numbers. He called the next day and asked her to go on a date with him. The rest fell into place. Eventually, they moved into a small apartment together. It wasn't perfect, but she would sometimes think that he was the one. That didn't last as long as she had hoped.

   "Shoot guys, the powers out," someone who worked in the bank said as the light turned off. They tried to flip a few switches, but it didn't work.

   "You guys can go home early. I'll lock everything up," their boss said. They all happily gathered their belongings and left. Anna swung her keys in between her fingers as she unlocked the door to her house. She opened it and looked inside. Hearing voices, she looked around. She stepped inside and closed the door behind her, walking over to the bedroom. She opened the door, and immediately regretted it. She gasped and dropped her keys as Tony and a girl she didn't recognize scrambled to sit up, covering their bodies with the blanket. Anna's eyes widened and she tried to blink back tears, taking in a small, quick breath.

   "Anna it-," Tony started. She shook her head.

   "It's what Tony? Not what it looks like? I'd have to be pretty dumb to believe that, wouldn't I?" She said. She bent down to grab her keys, embarrassed, and turned around and ran back to her car. She slammed he door shut aggressively and let her tears free fall. She took a deep breath and began to drive. She wasn't sure where she was going, but she figured that she would know it when she got there. Twenty minutes later, she pulled into her sister's driveway. She gripped the steering wheel tightly, took a few breaths calming herself down, and stepping out of the car. She ran to the door and knocked.

"Coming!" Chloe's voice exclaimed. She swung the door open, only to reveal her little sister, mascara running down her face. "Hey Matt! Finish dinner for me!" She grabbed her sister's hand and pulled her inside, setting her down on the couch and sitting next to her.

"I'm sorry I should have called," Anna said. Chloe rubbed her sister's arms in an attempt to calm her down.

"No it's okay. What's going on?" She asked. Anna sniffed and her older sister handed her a box of tissues, which she thankfully took.

"He was cheating on me," she sobbed, and Chloe attempted to console her.

   "I'm so sorry," she said sympathetically. "When did you find out?"

   "Just now. The power went out at work so they sent us home early and he was with another girl," she sobbed out, and Chloe began to wipe the makeup off of her cheek.

"That bastard," she said angrily. Anna tucked her head in her hands.

   "I feel so stupid," she said, and Chloe shook her head.

   "You are not stupid. He played you. He doesn't deserve you."

"I didn't grab any of my stuff. It's all still there," she said in a frustrated tone.

"You can stay here and use my stuff," Chloe said. Anna sat up and shook her head.

"No I can't do that. You guys have your own life and I don't want to impose," she said.

"Are you kidding? You're my family Anna. No buts about it, you're staying," she said firmly. Anna leaned over and hugged her tightly.

"You're the best big sister in the entire world," she said, still silently crying. Her sister hugged her back even tighter.

"And you're the best little sister in the entire world," she replied. They separated and Chloe kissed her little sister's temple, before standing up and going to fill her husband in. Anna stayed sitting on the couch, holding a pillow to her chest and trying to stop herself from crying.

"You are so worth it," she whispered to herself under her breath, eyes tightly closed and still hugging the pillow. "You are so worth it, and that douchebag is not worth your time."