"And Hugo?"

"He's fourth in line to the throne. We've no plan to announce it until you've told everyone in the royal family who needs to know."

The King nodded and stood up. "Thank you. Thank you for your time, Field Marshal."

The King spent the rest of the day getting on with it and keeping busy. He didn't see his daughter at lunch. He wanted to tell her straight away to get it over and done with, but he also wanted to be there for her for as long as she needed, which he couldn't promise during the day. When the end of the working day did finally come around, he had to tell his brother George so that Hugo could be told.

"Hugo was only just beginning to think about it," George said. "I don't think he has his heart set on it like Caroline does. How do you think she'll take it?"

Eddie sighed. 'Badly.'

"I can't help you with that. As King it's your duty - "

"I know what my duty is," Eddie snapped. "Sorry."

"Yesterday at the party, she seemed so much more settled with all this royal stuff.'

"How do I tell her, George?"

"Just say it. And don't tell her in the private apartments. She'll need to be able to go somewhere where it didn't happen and not be surrounded by people."

"Summon her to my office you mean? She's my daughter, George."

"She is also your Heir and this is a matter of state. I know you don't like it and don't want to think of her like that, but Ed, you don't have that luxury."

"The last time I was summoned somewhere... "

"You're not telling her she's got to take up the role of Queen. Just that... Well, that isn't going to make you feel better either. You have to do this. As hard as it's going to be, telling her you're going to be on your own. But after, Mabel and I are here for you both. Mum and Dad too."

"Thanks, George. Let me know when you've told Hugo. The military want to know."

"We'll get over to Eton tomorrow. Let me know if you or Caroline need anything."

George got up and went home. Eddie got up so that he didn't put it off any more than he already had and went to his office. He pressed the buzzer that was on the edge of his desk and a few moments later, a member of palace staff came into the office.

"Your Majesty." He bowed.

"Please ask the Princess of Wales to come down immediately, thank you."

The man bowed again and was back five minutes later with his daughter. She smiled and kissed his cheek.

"You're working late," she said.

"Needs must, I'm afraid," he said.

So young. She was so young. And so much had changed for her already. In five minutes, she'd have almost nothing of her old life left. He hated the decision. He hated even more that he couldn't disregard it. He was the head of the army, but he had no power over it.

"Caroline," he said and stood up from behind his desk, "I need to have a conversation with you as King to Heir Apparent."

"O.. ok," she said and looked around the room as thoughts flew through her head. "Did I do something wrong?"

"No," he said and led her to a settee. "No, you've done absolutely nothing wrong." He held her hand and looked into the blue eyes she'd inherited from him. "Please understand that I'm not saying this as your father. And I don't want to have to tell you this, and I don't like that I have to and..."