Three

Field Marshal Sir Samuel Grace arrived at Buckingham Palace at half past eleven for a quarter to twelve audience with The King. He thought the Admiral of the Fleet and Marshal of the Royal Air Force should be with him, but they'd both felt that the decision was best delivered by someone the King already had a relationship with, not two people who were new to their posts.

The King's equery was, at the moment, a navy man who swiftly showed the Field Marshal to the room where the King was waiting. It was the one the King always met guests when it was a matter of state, a room Field Marshal Grace had been in before, so he didn't flick his eyes around when he was shown in. He saluted and bowed from the neck when he was announced. Then he shook the King's hand, envious of the King's comparative youth. Oh, to be that young and energetic again. To have a head of thick hair too...

"Do sit down, Field Marshal," King William, as he was known outside the family, said and took the chair opposite the settee where the Field Marshal sat. "I was quite surprised to hear you requested an urgent meeting. What's going on?"

"Nothing that the state has to worry about, Your Majesty. Rather the conclusion of some quiet talks that have been had between myself, the navy, RAF, and the intelligence committee."

"Yet, it's not a state matter?" the King asked and prepared for it, whatever it was.

Despite all the time to prepare what to say in the car, and deciding the best way to go about it, words felt inadequate. Every string of words he put together in his mind felt clumsy and careless. He knew what he had to say was going to hurt the King, but he knew it was going to hurt his daughter more. He'd only spoken to her for a few brief minutes after the parade, but he liked her.

"There have been an increasing amount of attempted attacks against the Royal Family in the last few months, Bobby at MI6 has, I believe, made you aware of them. There have also been more attempted attacks on military installations."

"Yes, I'm aware of this."

The Field Marshal nodded. "The safety and security of all our men and women, across the armed forces, is of paramount concern and my colleagues and I feel that if the Princess were to join the army, we would not be able to guarantee her safety, or that of the people around her."

"Field Marshal, you can't guarantee their safety at any time, it's part of their job."

"Yes, sir, but the princess is a target simply because of who she is. There have been plans derailed that would have jeopardised her life already and the world has only known about her since the end of June. A member of the royal family entering the armed forces always presents a challenge, but right now we do not foresee a future for her where she can effectively carry out her duties, even if she were to take on a domestic role."

He saw it then. The look in the King's eye, the look that said he knew exactly what was coming. It was the resignation, the anger that he wasn't supposed to see, the sadness in acceptance.

"Tell me exactly what has been decided," the King said.

"That from now no member of the royal family will be allowed to enter any of the armed forces unless they are willing to give up their titles, and even then, it will be reviewed on a case by case basis, based upon their seniority. Even if she were to give it all up, the Princess Caroline would not be permitted to join any of the armed forces."

"But she's going to be the head of the army!"

"With due respect, sir, you are the head of the army and you do a fine job."

"And there's no way to persuade you?"

"I'm sorry, sir, truly I am. But relieving her sadness over this is not worth the men and women who would be put at risk by her simply being there."