Two

As I walked to the lectern, I reminded myself that this was my idea. I knew how much it would mean to Dad. Granny and Grandpa agreed and so it was set into motion. I'd been working on the speech since the start of the summer holidays. I liked it. I knew it pretty well. Dad would love the surprise.

But this was still my first time doing any public speaking. And what a venue. All the world's Kings and Queens, and heads of government from all over the world were here.

No pressure.

'Your Majesty, Your Majesties, Your Royal highnesses, Your Highnesses, Excellencies, my Lords and Ladies, ladies and gentlemen, family, friends, Papa,' I began.

A light chuckle went up at 'Papa'. Good. It wasn't a tough audience to crack. I let it simmer down.

'There are many things I want to say, could say, and should say. And a few things I probably shouldn't. Forty years old today. King for twenty two years. A friend, brother, cousin, nephew, son, grandson, uncle and father. Champion of the arts and sciences, young people and animals, the environment and agriculture. Expert jockey, enthusiastic sportsman, bibliophile. Terrible swimmer. Even worse boatman.'

Everyone laughed. Dad chuckled and held his hands up to it.

'Words cannot express what makes you, you without leaving out something subtle yet vital.

'In the two and a half years I have known you, I have never ceased to be amazed by your compassion, passion, intelligence, clownish moments, consideration of others, zeal and determination. Whenever you see a challenge you pursue it with thought and a refusal to give up, but knowing when to ease off and temporarily apply the breaks. You mould yourself to the situation and absorb everything around you, and yet are able to block out extraneous detail and distractions. You are warm and kind, and allow others to explore their limits, but take charge when you need to. You have great energy, and great poise. You are brash and lively, and calm and quiet.

'In the contradictions of your person, you know your person. You are unafraid to be yourself. You show your true nature to the world with bold courage and gentle openness.

'And yet, you are not the man I met when I was sixteen. Learning who you are takes time and is an ongoing process of evolution and reflection.

'These past two and a half years have seen you push boundaries, change rules, and forge your own, unique path through life and Kingship. You have not allowed the world to shape you, but have shaped the structures of the world. And all the time you have lived life as your father does with the belief that within every person there is a light and truth waiting to be uncovered and celebrated. A light that will help and teach as well as bring joy and give hope to others. You believe that every person has potential, and that that potential should be nourished and nurtured.

'You meet people with openness and nurturing warmth that allows people to open their hearts and their minds without hesitation. Your natural gift of easy, meaningful interaction is one you don't even realise you have, but never goes unnoticed. Your belief that everyone has something to contribute helps us all to learn from one another, and most of the time we don't even realise it. You help us to see different perspectives brought about by different walks of life whether they be wealth, education, ability and disability, different races and religions, or no religion, age and health. You see everyone as connected in spite of and because of these differences.

'You find pleasure in the success of others and encourage people to see the successes around them. You are brightened and excited by the achievements you see, not just those that are yours.

'You are easily moved to laughter and enjoy jokes, but that's not to say your jokes are always funny. Although sometimes they're so bad, they're good. Any friend or member of the family who's clearing up dishes will ask "Are you done?" and you will say "No, I'm Eddie", every time. And you will laugh every time.' Or in the morning I'll say "I'm still sleepy" and you will say "I'm still Dad".